Forums

Give us the option to opt out of playing against new accounts

Sort:
pussonthechessboard

New accounts are more often than not, cheaters or smurfs. Both are an incredibly frustrating experience. Pretty much everytime I play, I run into this exact experience. Playing against an account made "1 hour ago" is almost unilaterally a very negative experience.

pussonthechessboard

Bumping. How is this not considered a bigger issue. In other competitive games, there are significantly more barriers to entry? 
In League of legends you need to be level 30 before playing ranked, which equates to roughly about ~100 hours of gameplay. In Dota 2 you need 100 hours of unrated gameplay and a verififed phone number. Smurfing is a bannable offense in Dota with both your smurf and main accounts being banned when caught. 
In this game, I can boot up a new account start cheating right away or terrorizing ratings where I do not belong instantly. Mind you, you can close your own account before you get caught cheating. This leads to way too many low quality games.

pussonthechessboard

Bumping till this gets changed.

kinglenoir

Not that I expect this will solve anything but simply for the did it just to say you've done it aspect, have you contacted support about this?

Also I could've sworn I saw some option or setting somewhere to not play new accounts but can't seem to find it. In the meantime maybe the rating ranges tool might help and/or creating open challenges instead of the usual blind matching.

pussonthechessboard

Bump

gotham-blunder
pussonthechessboard wrote:

Bumping. How is this not considered a bigger issue. In other competitive games, there are significantly more barriers to entry? 
In League of legends you need to be level 30 before playing ranked, which equates to roughly about ~100 hours of gameplay. In Dota 2 you need 100 hours of unrated gameplay and a verififed phone number. Smurfing is a bannable offense in Dota with both your smurf and main accounts being banned when caught. 
In this game, I can boot up a new account start cheating right away or terrorizing ratings where I do not belong instantly. Mind you, you can close your own account before you get caught cheating. This leads to way too many low quality games.

You'll never see any action taken, Chess.com is all about the money, that's why you get 3 puzzles a day and 1 review - unless you subscribe and pay money. They will let anyone 'cheat' if they are paying for premium unless other members complain.

LI-C-H-E-S-S ftw

RagingRook1747

when you get paired witha random opponent, this doesn't seem like a big issue, since you don't get paired with new players too frequently. but in arenas and tourneys, this is a huge problem. I've seen many new players (usually with a low rating or an extremely high one) getting banned just after winning. it would be great if chess.com added a new feature that allows new players to play in tourneys only after 7 days of joining and after they have played, say 20 games, of that time control. i highly doubt if chess.com would take any action for this issue, though.

pussonthechessboard

Bump

Bunky777

hump

pussonthechessboard

bump

pussonthechessboard

Bump

nov04-inactive

rump

jalapenomacncheesemix

ridicule me on this but the reason chesscom is so popular is because it doesn't have (very annoying to me) entry barriers like dota lol and cs2

however an option to opt out of new accounts would be nice

pussonthechessboard
jalapenomacncheesemix wrote:

ridicule me on this but the reason chesscom is so popular is because it doesn't have (very annoying to me) entry barriers like dota lol and cs2

however an option to opt out of new accounts would be nice

Doesn't have to be enabled by default. But players who do not want to play against new players should not have to. Especially when an overwhelming amount of new accounts are cheaters/smurfs.

TipsyTrickster

Yeah, it's annoying. I have just taken it as a habit to check profile everytime I start a game.

Catdragoning

I agree with this. I have never had this happen to me as I am constantly in mid-rated areas (such as 750 opposed to 800), but I can see how this can be frustrating.

David

Chess.com has historically ignored any suggestions for changes to their game seek filters. They've never said why - maybe they're worried about the effect it would have on how long it takes a game seek to be fulfilled.

Ziggy_Zugzwang

I made a recent similar thread suggesting along with a rating range we could specify a length of membership.

pussonthechessboard

bump