Forums

Bot "Fundy" is stronger than "1500" rating on challenge mode

Sort:
ToastedBread2

Please fix the rating.

on "challenge" this bot plays at 2000 rating atleast.

It is very far from 1500 bots.

justbefair
ToastedBread2 wrote:

Please fix the rating.

I just beat it without any problem and I'm a 1600.

How many times have you lost to it?

TatianLegacy

Fundy bot is definitely stronger than other 1500 bots. 1500 bots are mostly dumb and make basic mistakes that barely pass as human-like, while Fundy bot has better awareness and finds decent tactics. I have only played him in challenge mode so I don't know about his level on the other modes. Also I play from the app in my phone which has some feature differences with the computer version,  but idk if this is relevant for this case.

kevinjayh

Jimmy needs to be looked at too. If I have no problem beating the all the intermediate bots most games, Jimmy should be a breeze. But no Jimmy crushes me 19/20 games, even if it blunders its queen at the start.

kevinjayh

Err the date. Necromancy.

x-9901749434

I tried him once, he was super easy actually and I'm only around 500-600 rated. The whole game took around 3 to 6 minutes. He's definitely correctly rated

Soletude
ToastedBread2 wrote:

Please fix the rating.

totally agree - fundy seems way beyond 1500.. Li (2000) in comparison seems much easier - I beat her in my second try but i never beat fundy so far. Tried about 20 times

heyletsplayFTW

JAU-H1994 made me angry cuz I'm ranked higher and couldn't beat Fundy, but then, after reading this thread, I just beat him lol. 

Duck

Fundy was actually quite hard to beat

Mattew

Fr, but managed to beat after multiple tries. At 1000 elo.

speedswim

I beat Wally bot (1800 rated) much more consistently than Fundy bot (1500). I played Li (2000) several times and won 2 games. I am just over 1400, used to be closer to 1500. Something is remarkable here.

I even matched them against each other, playing one in the browser and the other on mobile. Wally won 4.5-0.5, but Fundy bot was doing really stupid mistakes like getting his queen trapped very soon out of the opening. Also he stood +7 in the drawn game but nearly lost in the end, incredible.

So there must be something that makes Fundy bot strong against human players. First, obviously, his opening repertoire is very broad. He plays everything. Secondly, ny guess his strength is non-static and oscillates within a single game. So he plays ~1100-elo long streaks of moves and 2000-elo streaks of moves (arbitrary numbers), so averaged over 100s of games against another machine it's 1500. But it's very hard for an intermediate-strength human to adapt. If an intermediate player slips against him while he is 2000, it is extremely hard to come back even if he later reverts to 1100 (and one need to survive without major material losses).

I wonder if there are other ideas why he is so unpleasant to play against, beside him being formally underrated.

WaterDragon001
I am low 1300s, and I can beat Antonio but can’t beat Fundy. I agree that Fundy is stronger than 1500. (All of this was on challenge mode)
PearceVariation

I just beat Fundy for my first time by playing a Hippo setup as White. I noticed something about the Fundy bot which is that the bot was very hesitant to attack on my very solid position. He played a lot of waiting moves and shuffled pieces. He eventually lost when I pawn-forked his Queen and rook in a very closed, almost locked position. 

I had previously lost 20 times in a row to Fundy (challenge mode only) playing my normal openings (Italian, Vienna, French Defense, etc). I'm a 1500 player, and in all those previous games I felt like Fundy was an 1800 player. But I think the way Fundy is programmed is to wait to unleash an attack on an open position as soon as the player commits a mistake or blunder. When I played a passive, closed game, Fundy wouldn't attack. He played waiting moves. But if I play an aggressive, open position gambit and mess up, Fundy pounces hard and fast and punishes it.

So if you want to beat Fundy, playing super solid and over defend your pieces. Wait for him to blunder, and then slowly attack.

dhirmanglani
took me atleast 30 attempts to beat fundy, not correctly rated

justbefair
dhirmanglani wrote:
took me atleast 30 attempts to beat fundy, not correctly rated

But you are rated 647 in rapid.  Winning 1 in 30 is pretty good against an opponent that is 850 points higher rated.

TM_BLANK

This was my game against Fundy,Fundy is tough ,using analysis I found out he was playing like a:1550elo bot ,I didn't struggle because I have beaten him before

Pradhyuman_singh

I just defeated fundy. It was my second attempt. But for some reason( I am unable to beat him ) I think Antonio is much stronger than fundy.

MommyPrincess420

I tried out the various dog bots and Benji was 10x harder to defeat than Pinky, even though Pinky is higher rated. Benji also thematically sacrifices the rook a lot with strong play due to Levy's meme about the exchange sac. Needs to be toned down on the strength compared to Pinky.

chessxpert729

I beat Fundy on 1st try, it was really easy, I crushed him. You just have to make him make a mistake. Fundy's elo is 1500, my chess.com elo is 900 but I don't play on chess.com that much so its probably like 1500 or 1550 but Fundy might be a lot less then 1500, maybe 1300.

GMbullyMaguireTrash