Forums

How can I get past 1000!!!???

Sort:
Willdaniell123
Hi, I’m stuck at around 900 points, occasionally peaking at over 1000 points but my goal is to achieve somewhere closer to 1200. Feel free to look through my games and post advice below! Thanks
Willdaniell123
Please note, all of this is in blitz, I can’t find the time for full games at the moment 🙁
Kobe_Jordon
You have only played 21 games. I think you just need to play as many games as possible and do tactics every day.
jambyvedar

Just continue playing. Solve tactics problems everyday.

Study this.

The Principles of the Opening -- for Beginners!

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-principles-of-the-opening

dk-Ltd

I will be honest, before reality strikes you:

you can't pass 1000 any time soon. the only way to pass 1000 is to be patient and keep playing more games for sometime (and do tactics) . You have played very few games and haven't reached your bottom yet. I think you will go below 800, if you continue playing. I am saying this, because your question is very premature, because of how little you have played. If you keep playing, you will reach your bottom soon and then start rising slowly and eventually pass your target.

Willdaniell123
@NelsonMoore, as forgot to mention that most of those recent games weren’t me!! I think maybe the last 5 were my sister. Sorry for confusion
santiagomagno15

you will go over 1000 if you dedicate 20 minutes a day to chess

Michael-Holm

Here are some playlists on youtube that should help you out:

Chess Fundamentals - John Bartholomew

Beginner to Chess Master - Chessnetwork

lavin_arrt
Exercise tactic every day . Dont lie to yourself. Chess elo rating will payback to u if you pay time to study on chess
lucidnightmare
I think the secret to any rank increase is (recursively) to study your own games. Meaning, studying your play after it gets better and better.

Personally, I associate the rating I truly deserve with my tactics rating. I recommend doing more lessons and then applying that to your tactics puzzles. That way you will feel the difference the lessons make. Also, always to re-attempt your failed tactics puzzles.

Anyway, I looked over some of your games and suggest perhaps to try new openings. Rather than Queen’s Gambit as white and Queen’s Pawn Symmetrical as black, you might want to take on the Scotch Gambit and the Sicilian Najdorf. Since I started learning these openings my rating has gone up to about 1300 from much lower and they have been fun to play.
Dsmith42

The only quick way to pass 1000 rating is to get beat repeatedly by someone who is around 1400-1600.  You can generally pick up tricks and pointers from folks up to two levels ahead of you, but any more than that and it'll probably be too far above you to figure out what's going wrong.

Brownie2009
Play more games.🙂
robertjames_perez

Sshhhhhnnhhhhhhh no not playing everyday. But only in real chess tournaments

robertjames_perez

Study more to improve and even better is to use it on all of the types of how to play, either in real life or chess.com or other chesssites

bala236

play more games,solve more tactics

bala236
thumbup.pngZenWeapon wrote:

TACTICS. And Lessons. Playing more will not make you better. You will just do the same things over and over. 
Practice TACTICS and take lessons to learn more strategy. THEN you can play more. I would say don't play at all until you've done at least all the Beginner Lessons on Chess.com

drmrboss

Beat 1000+ rated player >50% of games. Simple math!!

robertjames_perez
bala236 wrote:

play more games,solve more tactics

Yes, yoou are right. But do you know that if tactics and how to play chess  were the only things we know in chess, can we improve if we just solve tactics everyday? Does it help to positional and strategical thinking? Decision-making? 

We must also solve puzzles to improve our calculation (which I am agreeing with him)

Yes, chess is 99 percent tactics, though without positional and strategical understanding (and also intuition) , we will hardly win in technical positions that our side is winning and hold positions that are hard to hold without positional and strategical understanding. And also, pattern recognition is important, so reading chess books are so important.

bahubali371

happy.pnghappy.png

itzanil

Two things you have to cram from books. 

1st opening. 2nd endings.

I hang on one opening since I am not expert of all. 

Endings are the place where you will get advantage on other to cross an average 1000.