after Na3 there are many possible options for black

There's only 1 forcing line

chesssblackbelt
BigChessplayer665 wrote:

Where was this lichess ?

Cause chess.com puzzle ratings are a tad high

Also who's winning

It's chess.com

White is winning but you need to calculate until the win otherwise you're just guessing

MARattigan

But what do you call the last move? There seems to be any number of possible last moves as @Thepasswordis1234 suggests. I think even if you made it mate in n.

Nice puzzle though.

chesssblackbelt

After whites first move, there is only 1 line from black that offers a fighting chance. You have to calculate that and then spot the winning idea and tell me the final move in that idea

This is how you're supposed to solve tactics, you're not meant to guess based off vibes

MARattigan

But I finished up in a KQK with different possible final moves (without basing it on vibes). There may be a shorter White win with a unique final move that I missed, but then you need to make the puzzle mate in n.

chesssblackbelt

How do you spoilers in text here?

I will give a hint that black is trying to get his knight to the b6 square to prevent promotion. And if black achieves this then it's 0-1

MARattigan

I think @Thepasswordis1234 already covered that. But that's only the start. The a8Q stops immediate promotion of Black's h pawn (after swapping pawns on g4), but then Black's knight will attempt to support the promotion.

chesssblackbelt

It's quite a hard puzzle, which is why I put 2200+

I will say tho always be thinking of your opponents best defence! In puzzles or in games, it's how you improve

In this puzzle there's a very clear defensive line from black that just looks winning for black at first glance

MARattigan

I can see a clear win, but I don't see a unique final move even if you make it mate in n. Perhaps you could make it mate in n and I'll try again.

chesssblackbelt

Ok it's either mate in 6 or white promotes instead

MARattigan
chesssblackbelt wrote:

Ok it's either mate in 6 or white promotes instead

Ta.

But if White promotes it's still no cake walk. That's Black's best defence (it's touch and go). So you can't actually say what the final move is (with best defence).

When I said mate in I meant against any Black defence.

chesssblackbelt

it should be an easy win if white promotes

MARattigan

Not trivial I think. The answer you wanted was 6.Nd6#, but only if Black considers only running the knights, not against best defence. I thought the puzzle after letting White's a pawn queen and going for the counter queen on h1 was just as interesting (i.e. 1...g4 followed by N->f2 after swapping pawns etc.).