Forums

the hardest chess puzzle, if you can solve, you are....genius!!!!

Sort:
GrandMasterArnab

Guys these are some really hard chess puzzles, if you can solve these, you are, a genius!

By the Way there are collected from YouTube, so if you know the solutions,then most probably, you saw them already!

In all of them, it's white to move

Good Luck!

Puzzle no1: 

"Grandmasters and Engines Couldn't Solve This Puzzle. Then Came The Magician". This puzzle was composed by Gijs van Breukelen. It was created in somewhat around 1970 but published in the 1990s.  This is one of the hardest puzzles ever composed as leave alone Grandmasters, engines could not solve it either! Everyone thinks that Black is winning with passed pawns and a knights. Yet white can force a win soon.... 

See the solution of the puzzle here:-

agadmator's Chess Channel

Puzzle no:2

This puzzle was composed by Ottó Bláthy in 1922. This involves a lot of chess thinking in terms of strategy, tactics, moves & ideas. White has just one pawn and a king whereas, black has all his pieces. But still White can win this game. White needs to find the best moves & ideas in which white can trap black in the corner and checkmate the black king. This is a really interesting & unique puzzle and we can learn some important chess concepts out of this brilliant endgame composition. This will help us in move calculation & emphasize on the idea of restriction in chess.

Chess Talk

Puzzle No:3 

This one is dubbed as the "Stairway to Heaven". White may have some positional advantage, yet if he is not careful, it's going to be a stalemate. 

Chess with Suren

lnwnl

Puzzle #2; If the Black knight is able to move, White cannot hope to win. Therefore the forced move for White here is Kxe1 forcing Black into an endless repeat of Queen moves until White decides to remove some of the blockading pawns. The way to checkmate is via c5 and b3 with a knight, and the queen must be on a1. Of course he must remove the pawn on c4 first. White has one chance; he must play either h3 or h4 to put black in zugzwang. Fortunately as spectators we can just analyse every line, and see which wins;
It turns out that 1. Kxe1 Qa1 2. h3!! wins;

2... Qa2 3. h4 Qa1 4. h5 Qa2 5. h6 Qa1 6. h7 Qa2 7. h8=N Qa1 8. Ng6 Qa2 9. Ne5 Qa1 10. Nd7 Qa2 11. Nxc5 Qa1 12. Ne4 Qa2 13. Nd6 Qa1 14. Nxc4 Qa2 15. Na5 1-0

I don't believe I missed anything. If i did, well bummer.

Knights are special pieces. They are colour bound pieces like bishops, but we do not recognise it until we see a puzzle like this. For example, take this puzzle;

Who is winning here? It depends who moves first. If White moves first, it is a draw. If Black moves first, White wins. This is because Knights have two-move cycles between light and dark squares. This is similar to this well known draw;

Unless Black is stupid, this is a clear draw.

lnwnl

Puzzle #3 is easier I think.

I probably missed something. My bad.

Arisktotle

It's almost always the composer who is the genius while the solver is merely his humble servant.

#1 is a brilliant and hard puzzle indeed while there are many others as hard or harder. Because this puzzle hits the ceiling of the capabilities of most solvers, they think it must be the hardest. They cannot imagine another floor above their ceiling and who knows how many more floors.

#2 is a little beauty which an experienced solver would work out in no more than 3 minutes - mainly the time required to move the pieces..

#3 is a bit messy with many move order alternatives. There are more versions of this problem but the ones I've seen never explain why white must invite the e.p. move. In this diagram 1. h3 is just as good as 1. h4. I made a version myself where the e.p. move is an unmissable part of the solution. Here is a quick composed edit (not a very good one) where white is forced to play 1. h4 to win.

Roaming_Rooster

Roaming_Rooster

Arisktotle

That dumb move was already made when chess.com allowed you to post.

EndgameEnthusiast2357

I told you guys Suren was one of the best chess channels out there!

ooooeeeeooeeoe
Arisktotle wrote:

That dumb move was already made when chess.com allowed you to post.

that only 

XuanChuong1902
Marhales đã viết:

Pratyush0820

Can anyone solve this?

ogbmt

Puzzle #2 and #3 are relatively easy for humans using process of elimination or trial and error. #2 takes a lot of moves to reach checkmate, but you can recognise that black can only play Qa1, Qa2 etc. After that the only challenge is working out if you can force the black queen to be in the right place before your final move. #3 is a bit more complicated but still quite easy to solve if you focus on restricting the moves that black can play.

Puzzle #1 is absurdly difficult to solve as a human. I saw the video a year or so ago and have since forgotten the solution, and I can't even remember any of the key ideas needed to solve it. There are just so many moves needed to achieve victory and so many possibilities in each resulting position along the way. I think that each incorrect idea for white in this puzzle could easily be considered it's own puzzle for black, and each of these would be harder than 99.9% of puzzles.

Machamp98

Hi

Chessisbest12345678

0-1

ShikhariShambu
EndgameStudier wrote:

I told you guys Suren was one of the best chess channels out there!

Gothamchess is better

kennykim1

Puzzle two and three is easy.

These are not hard.

For Puzzle 2

1. Kxe1 Qa1 2. h3 (2. h4) 2... Qa2 3. h4 Qa1 4. h5 Qa2 5. h6 Qa1 6. h7 Qa2 7. h8=N Qa1 8. Ng6 Qa2 9. Ne5 Qa1 10. Nd7 Qa2 11. Nxc5 Qa1 12. Nd7 Qa2 13. Nb6 (13. Ne5 Qa1 14. Nxc4 Qa2 15. Na5 Qa1 16. Nxb3#)

For puzzle 3

1. h3 gxh3 2. Kh1 h2 3. g4 fxg4 4. Kxh2 g3+ 5. Kg1 g2 6. Kxg2 (6. f5 exf5 7. Kxg2 f4 8. a4 f3+ 9. Kf1 f2 10. e6 dxe6 11. Kxf2 e5 12. Kf3 e4+ (12... Bf5 13. a5 Be4+ 14. Kf2 Bc6 15. Ke3 e4 16. Kf4 e3 17. Kxe3 Bd7 18. Ke4 Bh3 19. Ke5 Bd7 20. Kf6 Bh3 21. Ke7 Be6 22. Kd8 Bd7 23. a6 bxa6 24. Kc7 a5 25. b7+ Kxa7 26. b8=Q+ Ka6 27. Qb6#))

ahaansri
SupermanClark0630 wrote:

This puzzle.   If h4 is played immediately, The game is Ahm,...theoretically drawn. Why? And how do i Say so..   Its Because ,the Pattern has Showed and thought us What is a Theoretical Framework Was All about..  

😜 theoretical frame work.,-meaning  the pieces are Arrange in accordance to derive a Phenomimal  Chess Player.. 

-Chess King Clark Bueno

???? what do you mean

Omarino2323

the magician

JudyMcKooky

Oh, my dear peasants, it is simply astonishing how effortless it was for me to solve these trivial chess puzzles. I am almost embarrassed to admit that it took me only a mere fraction of a moment to see through the intricacies of the game and identify the winning strategies. It is quite clear that the puzzles in question were designed for a lesser intellect, for it presented no challenge to my superior cognitive abilities. As I gazed upon the board, I could not help but feel a sense of superiority over those who might have struggled to solve such a simplistic problem. One must wonder why we even bother with such menial tasks when there are far greater intellectual pursuits to be undertaken. It is a waste of our precious time and resources to engage in such trivial activities, which serve only to bore and frustrate those of us blessed with a mind of great capacity. But I suppose we must take solace in the fact that not everyone can possess such a sharp and agile intellect as mine. It is a gift bestowed upon only the most exceptional individuals, such as myself, and one that we must use to better the world in whatever small way we can. So, my dear troglodytes, let us move on from these paltry puzzles and seek out greater challenges that might better test the limits of our superior intellects. For it is only through such endeavors that we might truly prove our worth to the world and leave a lasting legacy that will be remembered for generations to come.

Arisktotle

ChatGPT has arrived on chess.com. I wonder whether we will ever see a human text again from its slaves. Too early yet for a rescue mission, but we'd better start training the intervention force.