Forums

New Puzzle version Aug 2024

Sort:
el_Gaby

My iPhone chess.com app has updated to a new puzzle version with  Journeys. I like it and I don't see the same functionality on the web-based site. Is there something I have to toggle to get it on both platforms? 

Martin_Stahl
el_Gaby wrote:

My iPhone chess.com app has updated to a new puzzle version with Journeys. I like it and I don't see the same functionality on the web-based site. Is there something I have to toggle to get it on both platforms?

It's not available yet on the website

wildsam21

This new format of the tier puzzles I find terrible - why change it ? Is it just for change's sake or is there a benefit I've yet to find ??

Amadeus_L

This guy commentating the puzzle is extremely annoying. Also I can't see my puzzles rating change anymore, I have to go to my profile to look it up. Why would you do that? Is there a way to revert to the classic rated puzzles?

wildsam21

At least it’s not just me !! 😵‍💫

nougabolle

Horrible update indeed. Dude was staring at me the whole time. I was frozen. I wanted it to stop so just made a move that made sense. Then some red text because it was wrong. What is this? 😢

Pipidrelin
Would it be possible to choose the interface? I just want to do chess problems with a simple interface, not overloading the screen with unnecessary details for me. The disappearance of the directly visible ranking is also a bit annoying in my opinion. I understand that this may please some people, but the update doesn't seem to make everyone happy, and I don't think it's just time to get used to it
Martin_Stahl
Pipidrelin wrote:
Would it be possible to choose the interface? I just want to do chess problems with a simple interface, not overloading the screen with unnecessary details for me. The disappearance of the directly visible ranking is also a bit annoying in my opinion. I understand that this may please some people, but the update doesn't seem to make everyone happy, and I don't think it's just time to get used to it

If you are getting the puzzle path/points system you can disable that using the settings icon at the top of the feature. If it's the coach then there will be a setting to disable that soon.

popn69

This new puzzle update is bogus. I have a galaxy fold and love using chess.com on the inside screen. The board basically takes up the whole screen. Now with the new update the size of the board is roughly half the size and the coach is trying to pat me on the back and tell me I can do it. This is terrible. Please someone from Chess.com see this and fix the fold version of the app. Every other aspect of the app the board HAS NOT changed, this new puzzle page is horrendous. Get rid of the coach and give us our regular puzzle page back.

michaeleschuler

Get rid of the Chess version of Clippy; he provides no benefit and takes up screen real estate.

NH82

I agree that the coach guy should be optional. It provides no value and is extremely distracting.

wildsam21

Just got to the end of a " step " on the tier puzzles - now there is no " celebration " of the achievement as there was before - nothing ! Why has this been changed as well . It really is just change for it's own sake . Please Chess.com tell us the reasoning behind all this !!

zx81

I agree - strongly - with all comments above

Martin_Stahl
wildsam21 wrote:

Just got to the end of a " step " on the tier puzzles - now there is no " celebration " of the achievement as there was before - nothing ! Why has this been changed as well . It really is just change for it's own sake . Please Chess.com tell us the reasoning behind all this !!

Not every step has one

wildsam21

All I can say is that I am now on step 17 of the elite tier ( 1st time around ) and the only time it hasn’t happened was at the end of step 16 , which is the first one since the new puzzle format started . It could be a coincidence , but you can see my “ concern “ , esp with the other changes . Thank you .

popn69
Martin_Stahl wrote:
Pipidrelin wrote:

If you are getting the puzzle path/points system you can disable that using the settings icon at the top of the feature. If it's the coach then there will be a setting to disable that soon.

There is already a way to disable coach entirely in settings (which gets him out of the puzzles) BUT THE BOARD IS STILL THE SAME SIZE AS WHEN THE COACH WAS THERE.

If you are a chess.com programmer PLEASE HELP US GET OUR PUZZLE PAGE BACK. I will not speak for everyone om this forum but I like my puzzles instead of games for a reason (not very into online games) and if the interface doesn't change for the better I will get my puzzles elsewhere. I am a paying chess.com member (and I will assume the majority of people on this forum are paying members as well) and just want a CLEAN and easy on the eyes interface, which is what was already there prior to this most recent update.

I am still yet to see ANY benefit to this update.

3ToadSloth
I like the new puzzle format a lot, but it seems to have gone away. Is there a button to bring it back?
Martin_Stahl
3ToadSloth wrote:
I like the new puzzle format a lot, but it seems to have gone away. Is there a button to bring it back?

Try logging out of the app and back in.

Squidy58

I HATE the new puzzle ladder changes

The bot talking to you is extremely irritating and the removal of the live rating baffling

Please provide options to control these

billpageuf
Im a puzzle addict and I can’t stand the new interface. At least allow users to choose the format they prefer.