Forums

Daily chess rules

Sort:
Muisuitglijder

Can anybody tell me if the use of reference databases is allowed in daily chess.

baddogno

AFAIK yes.  The exception would be anything derived from engine play; computer vs. computer stuff would have to be in a book rather than digital form.  I'm often wrong...wink.png

Muisuitglijder
CaptainBearFace schreef:
100% allowed, but only for opening, book moves. Anything else is cheating

So as soon as the game goes "out of book"  a reference database is no longer allowed? Because reference databases sometimes come up with moves being played which aren't book moves. And what if i click on the game that goes along with the last book move, to get an idea of how the game could possibly continue?

knighttour2
CaptainBearFace wrote:

This is 100% wrong.  Books, videos, and other resources are totally allowed as long as they aren't engines, engine based or tablebases.  Consulting with other people is also not allowed.

Pulpofeira

Yeah, if you reach a K+R vs K endgame you could check in a book or video the way to give mate if you don't know it, for example. A engine or tablebase would be cheating because they give you the move for every position you reach in your specific game.

WSama

Yeah,  completely allowed. I once read that even masters memorize certain games and positions from those games, and use them in their matches. Of course they actually studied those games, which is very different from pulling a database out during a match.

blueemu

Basically:

You are not allowed to consult any source that changes state. So books, recorded games and (static) databases are OK, but engines and other people's advice are not allowed. Most sites don't allow endgame table-bases, either.

Muisuitglijder

Well, i guess that answers my question. 

Muisuitglijder

I'll go along with what the majority is saying so far, which comes down to books, recorded games and databases. Thanks.

Lasso_of_Chess

To look up answers, type a search word or phrase here: https://support.chess.com/

https://support.chess.com/article/317-what-counts-as-cheating-on-chess-com 

https://support.chess.com/article/648-what-do-i-need-to-know-about-fair-play-on-chess-com

Mx_Nat
knighttour2 wrote:
CaptainBearFace wrote:

"This is 100% wrong.  Books, videos, and other resources are totally allowed as long as they aren't engines, engine based or tablebases.  Consulting with other people is also not allowed."

Wouldn't a video, or a book for that matter, constitute "consulting" in a way? After all books and videos are created by authors who most likely recommend their favorite personal lines. Although these lines might be easily found in a static database, they are recommended by an individual who is probably more skilled than the audience.

Martin_Stahl

No, looking at static resources isn't considered consulting. The player still has to choose a line and decide how to handle deviations.

ColinCharles

I routinely use the explorer on Daily games (which I am reasonably sure is allowed because a direct link is on the Daily game page).  Once on the explorer, there are two buttons that I think I am not allowed to use.  One is Analysis and the other is Practice vs Computer.  Am I correct that I cannot use those tools in Daily games?  Occasionally, I unintentionally click one of those buttons.  I close as soon as I realize that something unexpected happened, but I am afraid that I will be banned for cheating for such miss-clicks.  Do I have reason to worry?

Just a few minutes ago, for example, I was staring at my screen when it timed out and went dark.  When I clicked to bring it back, I found that I had apparently hit one of those buttons (I don't even know which) but quickly closed it.

I have been on chess.com for about two months now.  I enjoy it and would hate to be banned for such trivial UI issues. 

Martin_Stahl
ColinCharles wrote:

I routinely use the explorer on Daily games (which I am reasonably sure is allowed because a direct link is on the Daily game page).  Once on the explorer, there are two buttons that I think I am not allowed to use.  One is Analysis and the other is Practice vs Computer.  Am I correct that I cannot use those tools in Daily games?  Occasionally, I unintentionally click one of those buttons.  I close as soon as I realize that something unexpected happened, but I am afraid that I will be banned for cheating for such miss-clicks.  Do I have reason to worry?

Just a few minutes ago, for example, I was staring at my screen when it timed out and went dark.  When I clicked to bring it back, I found that I had apparently hit one of those buttons (I don't even know which) but quickly closed it.

I have been on chess.com for about two months now.  I enjoy it and would hate to be banned for such trivial UI issues. 

Yes, you should not use Analysis or Practice vs Computer. Daily games have the option of an analysis board that can be used to test lines on, with no engine or feedback, if you want to use that.

ColinCharles
Martin_Stahl wrote:

Yes, you should not use Analysis or Practice vs Computer. Daily games have the option of an analysis board that can be used to rest lines on, with no engine or feedback, if you want to use that.

Thanks.  That looks a lot safer.  I guess the Analysis buttons do different things on the Daily screen versus the explorer.

qepx

Are you allowed to consult other games to get ideas for possible lines?

blueemu
qepx wrote:

Are you allowed to consult other games to get ideas for possible lines?

Yes. You can consult any resource that does not change state as you interact with it.

So no asking another player, no consulting an engine or tablebase... but you can look at other games or chess videos (as long as THEY don't refer to engine / tablebase analysis).

Spooky_Pumpkin

are you allowed to look at videos that just so happen to have evaluation? (usually for a game referencing a general concept, not an opening)

Spooky_Pumpkin

as an example, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCFn_Nsa9Gg

Martin_Stahl
Spooky_Pumpkin wrote:

are you allowed to look at videos that just so happen to have evaluation? (usually for a game referencing a general concept, not an opening)

If they're are engine evaluations or suggested lines it's best not to use those