Forums

why is Blitz so hard at 800 level?

Sort:
ForkingHopeless
Is it just me or Blitz super competitive at around the 800 level? I have 1200+ rating a rapid and can destroy 1400 bots, but put me against an 800 level blitz player and I feel like I'm playing a GM! Been stuck here for ages
Tomatowpower

I have the same. Nice dog btw😁🥺🥺

ShikshaWithPraveen

Blitz is super competitive at the 800 level. Everybody is a genius nowadays. 

A 1400 bot is not a true 1400 by the same definition of a person with that ELO. 

ForkingHopeless
Thanks guys, I do prefer the longer time controls. However I've played way more Blitz than anything else so you'd think I'd be used to it my now. I never feel under time pressure so to speak, just feels like I'm playing much better players when in Blitz.

I'll stick with it and practice my openings a bit more, once / if I ever break 900, I'm quitting while I'm ahead and staying with rapid from then on out!
BobbyGotFischered

More people play blitz so it's just a better playing pool. That's why I think a lot of people tend to have better ratings in rapid. 

justbefair

I looked at your Insights.  Do you?

It says you have missed an awful lot of mates in 1.   I would review all of these and see if you can improve your recognition rate.

I think something like the timed Puzzle Rush is very good for training you to see mates.

ForkingHopeless
Thanks for taking to the time to look Justbetfair. Hopefully I still went on to win most of the ones I missed! Maybe the time pressure effects me more than I thought it did
pdecirce

I agree about the quality of player. Seems like most 800-900 blitz knows how to play, react to openings, etc. Also, every game counts. I've lost plenty to one move blunders, etc. I hit 1300+ on rapid but can't seem to crack 900 blitz. In some ways it's good that chess. com has such an active field - it's probably a good indicator how we would rate in a world setting!

GentleHillRacer

Year late but here's my take. Honestly 800 blitz players have the potential to spot grandmaster level moves from time to time, don't let the rating fool you. Rapid 1400 is way more solid positionally, but the tactics that are often instigated at 800 level are insane. They do make way more mistakes/inaccuracies though, so if you can exploit those, then even the best moves won't save them.

Disclaimer I am a low level player so my view is probably wildly different from the actual consistenly good players.