Forums

What are my chances on getting to 2300 FIDE

Sort:
tatay_gulaman

I'm currently 19 years old as of making this thread. I learned chess all on my own when I was 5, played mostly with the computer since no one else knew of the game. I never took it seriously and was understandably stayed at the novice level for all my childhood until last year when I decided to join my first OTB FIDE-sanctioned tournament. I performed rather unwell, losing to all of my rated opponents (around 1200-1400) while winning against fellow unrated ones (final score of 3/6). Fast forward to a few days ago, my results somewhat improved, my final score against rated opponents (around 1600-1900) is 3.5/5 with a final score of 4.5/6 counting the lone win against an unrated player and a final performance rating of 1790.

I currently still do not have a chess rating in standard and never took chess coaching or any of the sort, mostly relying on a singular chess book I bought, free lessons on YouTube, and learning from my mistakes through analysis. I'm aspiring to get at most to 2300 FIDE since I know it's well too late to even dream of becoming a grandmaster. What are your thoughts? Is it a feasible goal?

tygxc

@1

"I learned chess all on my own when I was 5" ++ Great

"played mostly with the computer" ++ OK

"never took chess coaching" ++ Not needed

"a singular chess book" ++ An endgame book?

"lessons on YouTube" ++ Not useful

"learning from my mistakes through analysis" ++ Very important

"I'm aspiring to get at most to 2300 FIDE" ++ You are rated 1624. If you can sustain progress of +100/year, then you can reach 2300 in 7 years of hard and smart work.

"it's well too late to even dream of becoming a grandmaster" ++ Yes.

"Is it a feasible goal?" ++ It is possible, but unlikely.

medelpad
Very unlikely
borovicka75
Do not make nonsensical goals, just enjoy our beautiful game.
ChessMasteryOfficial

Given your current trajectory and dedication, aiming for a 2300 FIDE rating is feasible, though it will require sustained effort and smart training.

Honchkrowabcd
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

Given your current trajectory and dedication, aiming for a 2300 FIDE rating is feasible, though it will require sustained effort and smart training.

why is bro using ChatGPT on the chess.com forums lmao

ewionxfkajdfqwa
tygxc wrote:

@1

"I learned chess all on my own when I was 5" ++ Great

"played mostly with the computer" ++ OK

"never took chess coaching" ++ Not needed

"a singular chess book" ++ An endgame book?

"lessons on YouTube" ++ Not useful

"learning from my mistakes through analysis" ++ Very important

"I'm aspiring to get at most to 2300 FIDE" ++ You are rated 1624. If you can sustain progress of +100/year, then you can reach 2300 in 7 years of hard and smart work.

"it's well too late to even dream of becoming a grandmaster" ++ Yes.

"Is it a feasible goal?" ++ It is possible, but unlikely.

I mean... I'm 2000 rapid, and the first year I've known chess, all I did was watch gotham and hikaru.

J-0K-ER

If you have a goal...all you can do is give it your all...don't let people on chess com decide for you...I never thought i would reach 2000 rapid because i had a relatively late start at chess...and to top it off my rating was 800 but i gave it my all and 6 months later i am 2000...even.if the odds are against you dont give up...i believe in you

play4fun64

You can if you study, play, analyze. OTB games are different from online.

J-0K-ER

@9 playing online is what gets everyone to OBT usually

play4fun64

I mean a 2000 Online player will suffer negative performance in his first few tournaments. Using physical chess pieces and physical clock will take time to familiarize.

LearnerOfChess8
You are still young enough to become a grandmaster
LearnerOfChess8
Very high actually. People become grandmaster at 20 years old
J-0K-ER

I am in OBT so yes I agree...but that only lasts...like you said the first couple times...and yes I did...and your point?

play4fun64

OP should start playing in OTB tournaments. After a few tournaments, he then could consider if he is up to the challenge of attaining 3300 FIDE.

J-0K-ER

Again...What is your point ?

play4fun64

If you are not satisfied, ignore what I said.

J-0K-ER

I still don't get your point but ok then 🤨

nathan1589

Very low, because u said u have been playing for 14 years. And it still a 1700. Also if u wanna think about being titled. Be at least 2000 by the first year.

J-0K-ER

Nothing is impossible