Forums

Is 300 elo hopeless

Sort:
visionarioss

I am really trying to improve my chess, most posts I see people assume as soon as i know how the pieces move I am 500 plus and can get to 1000 learning openings and such... I cant even break 400, should i keep pushing or do i lack the talent?

TurtleKid2022
I was a 300 too for a while, but I am rapidly improving.

My best advice is to look at your mistakes so you don’t make them again.
blackpanther11121

First off how old are you. How long have you been playing. Have you studied your mistakes and how to fix them? Have you tried a different opening for both colors? How many puzzles have you done.( I highly recommend puzzles) Have you studied chess books and theory?

xtreme2020
Do puzzles, and just play the game. You’ll improve pretty fast, all you have to to is pretty much just stop hanging pieces at that rating
visionarioss
blackpanther11121 escreveu:

First off how old are you. How long have you been playing. Have you studied your mistakes and how to fix them? Have you tried a different opening for both colors? How many puzzles have you done.( I highly recommend puzzles) Have you studied chess books and theory?

450 puzzles, 120 games last 10 days or so. Watching and reviewing my matches, studying openings, looking at Gm games (fisher, mikahil etc). I am almost consuming only chess content. Funny that on board i can beat people rated higher than me consistently,

Lord_Phan

If it helps, my 7yr old son has gone from 200 in February to almost 900 now.

I suggest watching some speedruns from master players. ChessVibes(NM Lopez) has some and GM Noderitsky(sp?) has done some and both of them explain the WHY they make the moves, not just making the moves. I believe that helps a lot.

Also contrary to what some others believe, I think learning some fun traps helps, you learn some moves that lead to other moves and later on can apply them in other situations. They also boost your confidence when they succeed. My son telling his mother he had a 100% accuracy game for instance after a Fried Liver attack succeeded.

Hope this helps.

Driscoll5329
This is my favourite opening.
The Hyperaccelerated Bongcloud
visionarioss
Lord_Phan escreveu:

If it helps, my 7yr old son has gone from 200 in February to almost 900 now.

I suggest watching some speedruns from master players. ChessVibes(NM Lopez) has some and GM Noderitsky(sp?) has done some and both of them explain the WHY they make the moves, not just making the moves. I believe that helps a lot.

Also contrary to what some others believe, I think learning some fun traps helps, you learn some moves that lead to other moves and later on can apply them in other situations. They also boost your confidence when they succeed. My son telling his mother he had a 100% accuracy game for instance after a Fried Liver attack succeeded.

Hope this helps.

So watching does help tysm for the feedback

visionarioss
llama_l escreveu:
visionarioss wrote:

Is 300 elo hopeless

No, 300 is normal. A real beginner (right after learning the moves) would be rated under 100 (but they don't let ratings go that low). Everyone starts there. Talentless terrible kids start there, and also future grandmasters start there. A rating of 300 means you've improved from the point where you just learned how the pieces move.

(They don't let ratings go below 100 because at that level you improve so quickly there's really no point in recording it)

-

visionarioss wrote:

Most posts I see people assume as soon as i know how the pieces move I am 500 plus and can get to 1000 learning openings and such.

Most people don't post until they've put in enough work that they feel like they can brag a little. They'll also misrepresent how much work they've done to make it seem like they were automatically rated 500 or 1000 or etc when that's not the truth.

This happens all the time everywhere... nearly everyone exaggerates online... about chess and everything else.

Also, for every 1 person who brags, there are 1000 normal people who don't feel like posting anything, so it's easy to get a very skewed view of reality online. If you want to see the truth, you can, for example, go to chess camps where there are 100s or 1000 beginners... most people are awful at chess even after playing a while

-

visionarioss wrote:

I cant even break 400, should i keep pushing or do i lack the talent?

This is something that's probably hard for kids to understand, but chess improvement happens over years. It's not something you're good at after a few days or a few videos.

Some people can improve quickly after a few months, but when you look at their account, they've played many thousands of games. I see on your account you've played a little over 100 games. Your rating is normal.

Thank you so much for the minuscious response, I think I will keep pumping work in and studying. Maybe one day I can break 2000

visionarioss
GabeMiami10 escreveu:

5, do you mind telling me how you study openings and analyzing your games? there might be a problem in there. cause you seem to be doing all the right things

Well I try to look where everything went downhill, normally starts with a hanging piece or a bad positioning. I study my opening most trough youtube since I dont yet know the full coordinates of the board yet, I play the ponziani and the caro kann

Fezwick
visionarioss wrote:

Maybe one day I can break 2000

And when you do, you'll still feel stupid and and frustrated that you can't get better. I'll bet even Magnus feels frustrated that he can't beat the top bots.

BigChessplayer665
visionarioss wrote:

I am really trying to improve my chess, most posts I see people assume as soon as i know how the pieces move I am 500 plus and can get to 1000 learning openings and such... I cant even break 400, should i keep pushing or do i lack the talent?

Knowing how the pieces move and knowing how to play the game and start it is two different things ,no 300 is not hopeless

Dewana_Baba

No hopeless is not an appropriate word for 300 ELO

BigChessplayer665
visionarioss wrote:

Just try to play against stronger players and learn from them it takes a while for pattern recognition to build up but if you can find a 1200,800,2000,1600,2200,etc friend to help you /play against that would be helpful even if you get crushed eveygame

Of course joining a strong club could also do that

punchdrunkpatzer

300 elo is a decent beginners rating. Advancing requires more experience and pattern recognition than anything else. At your level, puzzles are crucial. Focus on puzzles and choose a solid opening to carry you into the middlegame and you'll be golden

Play slower time controls and monitor the threats on your pieces every move.

Jenium
visionarioss wrote:

450 puzzles, 120 games last 10 days or so. Watching and reviewing my matches, studying openings, looking at Gm games (fisher, mikahil etc). I am almost consuming only chess content. Funny that on board i can beat people rated higher than me consistently,

I watched one of your games. Both of you left pieces hanging basically on every move. There is no point in studying openings at this stage. Just make sure to avoid hanging your pieces and capture the pieces that your opponents leaves hanging. If you manage to do that for 40 moves you will be >1000.

punchdrunkpatzer
Jenium wrote:
visionarioss wrote:

I watched one of your games. Both of you left pieces hanging basically on every move. There is no point in studying openings at this stage. Just make sure to avoid hanging your pieces and capture the pieces that your opponents leaves hanging. If you manage to do that for 40 moves you will be >1000.

I wouldn't say openings don't matter at any stage in chess development. Simply learning the opening setup of the London system for example will help new players move into an equal middlegame where the fruits of their puzzle practice become apparent. it's absolutely important to know how not to get Scholar's mated at his level and he will need to know some things.

Jenium

Yea, you postpone hanging your pieces for a couple more moves by hiding behind the triangle and avoiding conflict. But that's not how to learn to play chess in my opinion...

punchdrunkpatzer

Your opinion is valid on it's face, but I think simply getting to an equal middlegame with all pieces developed is invaluable for a beginner. The London system was my opening of choice in the early stages of my development as a chess player and I don;t feel its relative safety stifled me. That said, it's important to play in a variety of pawn structures.

Adding the London system or any other ultra solid opening should be a poewrful tool in the beginners arsenal

BigChessplayer665

Though at 2200+ you have to switch it up cause people like to play other openings )don't play only London but yes learning system esc openings so you don't have to think much at first is usually a good way to learn how to move pieces