Forums

How to overcome chess tilt (-200+)

Sort:
hndrxx0
Im genuinely feeling hopeless right now. I’ve been enjoying chess a lot but have been on and off with this account so I recently got back (been playing more frequently on lichess, around 1800 there). Was 1550 before, reached 1670 around a week ago. However I hit a horrible losing streak yesterday and went all the way down to 1450, was a complete wreck and came back today and went down to 1390 now. Some games I just misclick for no reason, other games I genuinely just play awful. I have no explanation for what’s going on with me and just want advice. This is the worst chess I’ve played in a while. I’m on the verge of quitting (and returning 3 months later like I always do).
hndrxx0
I’m so tilted that I even formatted the title wrong 😭😭 genuinely feeling so cooked
O-O

Probably one of the craziest tilts I have seen, Not too long ago I was like 2 wins from 1700 but I then tilted 40 points, went on a 4 day chess break tilted 40 more points on my return and now I am 1600, might go down more who knows. I feel like my motivation and focus has decreased, like prior to losing a bunch I was happy hitting new peaks now I am in the mindset of "even if I win, I still am far from my peak rating", like chasing my peak has probably and will probably put me into an even further slump of rating. Though tomorrow is a new day and I am going to try new things if that's like being more focused on not blundering, or being more focused on tactics, or more focused on seeing my opponents tactics, or being more focused on my clock. If I had to give you more advice it would be to try to play more chess, be cautious of mistakes but not to be cautious that you are spending too much time on a move, though this is advice from another struggling chess player, so take it as you will.

FiICos

the reason for this lies in the pairing algorithm coupled with the problem of cheaters, especially in the 1400-1500 range. If the algorithm realizes that you are getting stronger and stronger as a normal mortal who is not a well-known pro or youtuber, it only allows the elo up to a certain limit. for me it is 1600, which i am not allowed to exceed. otherwise i will be paired directly with the "hard to beat" players, sandbaggers etc. again.

RoadOcean
You are at 1600 so yay
O-O

I just realized bro overcame the tilt. I wonder how?

stormy10

A few months after I hit 2000 blitz, I tilted 400+ points and dropped down to 1550! Then a year later, I managed to reach 2100+ with a much stronger understanding of chess. I think that during large tilts, we are learning a completely new way to play chess, as I learned many positional basics as I gradually rotated away from mindless attacks and junk openings. To prevent tilts though, you need to know when to stop playing. If you want to continue playing chess, you should just avoid playing your main time control(s) in order to prevent your main rating from decreasing.

Benparski

When you start losing stop playing I don't mean one game I mean three four games in a row. Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago I got to around 1650 in blitz lost 300 points in two days the more I lost the more addicted I became.

beastAra123

And I won 200 elo in about 15 days or maybe lesser than that idk

beastAra123

You will tilt for some time, then you will surely rise. The worse the tilt is, the better the gain of elo will be

medelpad

Do you actually believe that?
joshforthewin
1e4c6O-1 wrote:
Do you actually believe that?

Next he'll be saying the government hacks your computer and makes you missclick...

ChessMasteryOfficial

Focus on small, achievable goals rather than just rating points. For example, aim to play a certain number of error-free games.

hndrxx0
Recovered my rating somewhat since this post, but I’m in a perpetual cycle of tilting lol.
xtreme2020
Probably a lot of the time it’s not that you tilted so far, it’s just that you reached a false peak, luckily got higher than your skill
bajiaqsa0

Overcoming chess tilt, especially when you've lost over 200 rating points, requires a combination of mental strategies and practical steps. First, recognize that tilt is an emotional response that can cloud judgment. Take a break from playing to reset your mindset; engage in activities that relax you or bring joy outside of chess. Reflect on your losses objectively by analyzing the games to identify mistakes and learn from them without self-criticism. Focus on the process of improvement rather than the rating. When you return to playing, start with longer time controls to reduce impulsive mistakes. Practice mindfulness techniques, like deep breathing or meditation, to stay calm during games. Set small, achievable goals to regain confidence incrementally. Remember that everyone experiences setbacks, and growth often comes through overcoming these challenges. Stay patient and maintain a positive attitude, as perseverance is key to bouncing back from a chess tilt.