Forums

Having Trouble Vs 1800 and higher rated players

Sort:
dolphinmaster

When a 2000 or especially a 2200 and above plays an 1800, they seem to beat them pretty convincingly, the 1800 makes mistakes and they go down. But, when I play 1800s, I feel that they are playing too good, they are not making any mistakes at all, which shouldn't happen at all, and it is probably a case of me doing something wrong.

Here is an example from a game I played(I had the white pieces):

I was trying really hard to win this game, I had a queen and rook on his 7th rank, but he wasn't playing badly at all, I pretty much never had an advantage. I think I am doing something wrong with how I am approaching the game of chess since these 1800 plus players do make mistakes, but clearly I am not playing correctly. What am I doing wrong that I should fix?

Note: I saw 12, b4 but taught 12...a5 was a issue.

dolphinmaster

It might be a case of me not playing aggressively enough, but these positions don't give me a chance to do so since these openings are more positional in nature.

dolphinmaster

What do you guys think?

ChessGeekYT

Yeah, try to change your openings and plays more often to throw opponents off

ChessGeekYT

i think the best way to win against lower rated players is just watching youtube videos, like its the best way to improve and get better. I would suggest this youtuber, but you can pick the one u like the best! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99iLm4lpawrQrJJPV3qyJQ?view_as=subscriber

dolphinmaster

What about the game, how did I play?

ChessGeekYT

well!

ChessGeekYT

I think chess is a great game because there is always a way to improve, but you played well!

averagejoes

I think site uses bot players to be honest try get paid memberships lol I get same thing 10 minute games get 1200 then every player knows every right move to play lose like 10 games straight no matter what average then they try advertise membership lol

drmrboss

You lose because, you played weak moves just out of your opening preparation. 12.Ne5 is a positional blunder. 

At move 11.  you have to try strategy to control his pieces. In that position, allowing c5 to black give instantly equal position to black. There are two main ways to block that

11. a3, a6 12. b4!! is a must.

Or, 11. Rc1 a6, 12, Ne4

drmrboss
averagejoes wrote:

I think site uses bot players to be honest try get paid memberships lol I get same thing 10 minute games get 1200 then every player knows every right move to play lose like 10 games straight no matter what average then they try advertise membership lol

If you have such kind of mindset, you will never improve!

dolphinmaster

The reason I played Ne5 is because I was trying to play active moves, because if I play passively, I am not going to get anything going in the position.

dolphinmaster

The fact that I am not getting any advantage means I am doing something wrong and if you guys know what that is, let me know in this forum.

dolphinmaster

The fact that I am not getting any advantage means I am doing something wrong and if you guys know what that is, let me know in this forum.

dolphinmaster

What areas of chess do I have to work on based on this game?

dolphinmaster

What areas of chess do I have to work on based on this game?

ChessGeekYT

maybe try the London opening

dolphinmaster

Yeah, I guess that is true.

In the middlegame, I was really trying hard to win with my queen on d7 and rook on c7 and even after his Bxc3 move, the computer said I was better after Rd1. I am confused why this is the case.

dolphinmaster

I might not be playing as well as my opponents, but I want to know how to correct that, how to correct the flaws in my game so I will play better than them on a regular basis and in the end win games.

ponz111

why did you not strive for Rad8?