Forums

2000 Bot

Sort:
ted2a

Hello 

How realistic is the Bots 2000 rating? I am a maybe a 1700 player at best and I beat the 2000 bot with black.  It was a Kings Gambit declined.  Will a real 2000 player lose to a 1700 player? I mean he must really be having a bad day. Was this just a way for white to say I quit.  Do the bots ever resign?  White had just made the blunder with her bishop. Black to move. This was my first win on a 2000 rated player (Bot), and I have to wonder if there is any reason to celebrate. I have never played an actual human 2000 rated player.

ice12300

I think bots rating aren´t accurate, i´m 936 (and didnt play for some time) and just beat the Li bot (2000 elo) with ez.
When I played a little more active i was even able to beat the Danya bot (2650 elo)
I also didn´t take much time for my moves, maybe 3-5 minutes for the whole game.

sorry to disappoint you bro

EDIT: got a RL friend that is about 1200 who easily beats me

chrislamuk

I think the Chess.com bots give bots a bad name... a decent chess engine playing properly at 2000 Elo will kick your butt hard. Chess.com bots just don't work well if you have an older device. If you're serious about training with bots go to other websites, or buy a dedicated chess computer.

basketstorm
chrislamuk wrote:

I think the Chess.com bots give bots a bad name... a decent chess engine playing properly at 2000 Elo will kick your butt hard. Chess.com bots just don't work well if you have an older device. If you're serious about training with bots go to other websites, or buy a dedicated chess computer.

You might be correct about weak devices. We don't know what's the time limit setting. I mean: Komodo indeed runs locally in browser or on a smartphone. Anyone can prove this by disabling an internet connection (Airplane mode), the bot will continue to respond. And if chess.com added a time limit for thinking, then bots could play weaker on a weaker device. I'm not sure if there's a time limit though.

But buying a chess computer is probably an overkill. Try LucasChess (free Desktop program). It offers Komodo too and you have a very flexible control over it there. Plus many other bots. It's just the best chess app ever, I promise.

chrislamuk

Or devices with limited RAM or too many apps open.

Great thing about a dedicated chess computer is it will play very consistently at its given level... idea for training and keeping an eye on your progress.

I just beat a 1700 bot here on Chess.com. It didn't feel like a 1700 bot... it was pretty weak... more like 1300. So play bots here by all means but just for fun.

basketstorm

In LucasChess there's no time limits by default (0 - means no limit, you can set a limit only if you want) so you can be sure play is consistent on any PC.