Forums

Top 10 Chess HACKS You Didn't Know About:

Sort:
llama44

Someone make one of those awful clickbait videos where the author is obviously a moron and knows nothing about the subject.

For example in the style of this (I didn't actually watch this video, but they make a lot of garbage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZKsE77F-4

Here's a script I wrote for you tongue.png

1) Whenever a player moves a pawn all the way to any edge of the board, it can become a queen, but if you already have a queen then it has to stay a pawn.

2) Here's a trick Russians used to use on Bobby Fischer. By repeating the same move 3 times in a row, the game will become a draw. After Russians abused this to win the world championship Bobby Fischer petitioned to have the rule changed. Thanks to him, professional players all over the world now use Fischer Rules.

3) Did you know chess makes you good at math? Many European schools have replaced traditional math classes with chess classes. Instead of learning multiplication tables kids are given checkmate puzzles to solve. It must be working, because their math scores are still higher than schools in the United States.

4) Throughout all history, only one woman was awarded the men's grandmaster title. Susan Polgar was the highest ranked woman in history. Even though she never played in a men only tournament, she was awarded the men's GM title to acknowledge her achievement.

5) It's the age old question, which is worth more, the bishop or knight? Bobby Fischer thought knights were worth more while his contemporaries, like Chigorin, preferred bishops. Today computers have broken each piece into centipawns which means fractions of a pawn. Computers determined that there is no fixed value for pieces at all! No wonder my computer always beats me!

6) Cheating in chess has always been a problem for chess organizers. In the 1800s some players would smuggle extra pieces into tournaments and place them on the board when their opponent wasn't looking. This led to the practice of recording your moves. Look closely at any top tournament and you can see players like Magnus Carlsen recording how many pawns, knights, and bishops are on the board after every move.

7) Chess ratings keep going up! Just like Olympic records for speed and distance are shattered, every year the best chess players in the world reach new heights. The first system to numerically represent a player's skill was developed by professor Elo and adopted by FIDE in the 1960s. This system uses a computer to give a score to each move, and at the end of the game a player's skill is calculated based on how well they played.

8) The world champion of chess, Magnus Carlsen, is widely regarded as one of the best players alive today, but did you know he isn't the only player currently recognized as world champion? In 1993 Garry Kasparov started his own chess organization, the PCA. Garry Kasparov, also one of the strongest players alive today, remains the undefeated PCA world champion, and since the PCA no longer hosts tournaments, that probably wont change any time soon!

9) Have you ever seen a professional chess tournament and wondered what those weird looking clocks are? Many years ago chess wasn't played with clocks at all, but some players decided to stall the game when they were losing. To prevent this chess clocks were introduced. Two clocks are used for each game, and they record how long a player takes to make their moves.

10) Chess has a lot of rules, probably more than you think! The USCF rulebook has over 400 pages of rules tournament directors must learn before hosting tournaments. These rules cover everything from how players are paired to what they're allowed to wear. Even strong players sometimes run afoul of the rules. In 2017 Canada's only GM, Kovalyov, was forfeited by the tournament director for inappropriate attire.

Lord_Hammer

LOL 

autobunny

Sounds like a new movie in the works, el que se llama llama.  Will it be Bill Pullman again? We also want to see GM commentators surprised by an en passant and explaining to the shocked crowd what just happened. 

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/off-topic/worst-chess-movie

autobunny

In the interest of balance, we should cast pushwood instead of pullman. There's been a recent siting. 

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/lost-and-found-ghost-of-pushwood

opawnent

sounds like something Watchmojo would post. "TOP 10 chess hacks you didn't know existed"

m_connors

A hack is a hack, of course, of course
And no one can hack like a hack, of course
That is, of course, unless the hack is just a hack . . .

AlCzervik

wasn't this one of letterman's top ten lists?

sndeww

outstanding move

llama44
AlCzervik wrote:

wasn't this one of letterman's top ten lists?

Maybe if Letterman's writers knew 1/10th as much as I do about chess, sure.

Seriously, you can't appreciate all of the numerous errors (big and small) unless you're a chess player tongue.png

twotimes2
Lmao
KingAxelson

11) Chess can be used as a tool for anger mgmt issues. When you learn to stop swearing in your live chess games, chances are your cured for all other situations. If such is your goal.

Luinor
llama44 wrote:

1) Whenever a player moves a pawn all the way to any edge of the board, it can become a queen, but if you already have a queen then it has to stay a pawn.

Oh my...

Kids in junior tournaments where they promote loads of queens.

"What do you mean i can only have one queen?"

krazykat1975

I've played against more then 10 chess hacks before

ishownospeed
Tks
chesschesskid
llama44 wrote:

Someone make one of those awful clickbait videos where the author is obviously a moron and knows nothing about the subject.

For example in the style of this (I didn't actually watch this video, but they make a lot of garbage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZKsE77F-4

Here's a script I wrote for you

2) Here's a trick Russians used to use on Bobby Fischer. By repeating the same move 3 times in a row, the game will become a draw. After Russians abused this to win the world championship Bobby Fischer petitioned to have the rule changed. Thanks to him, professional players all over the world now use Fischer Rules.

3) Did you know chess makes you good at math? Many European schools have replaced traditional math classes with chess classes. Instead of learning multiplication tables kids are given checkmate puzzles to solve. It must be working, because their math scores are still higher than schools in the United States.

4) Throughout all history, only one woman was awarded the men's grandmaster title. Susan Polgar was the highest ranked woman in history. Even though she never played in a men only tournament, she was awarded the men's GM title to acknowledge her achievement.

5) It's the age old question, which is worth more, the bishop or knight? Bobby Fischer thought knights were worth more while his contemporaries, like Chigorin, preferred bishops. Today computers have broken each piece into centipawns which means fractions of a pawn. Computers determined that there is no fixed value for pieces at all! No wonder my computer always beats me!

6) Cheating in chess has always been a problem for chess organizers. In the 1800s some players would smuggle extra pieces into tournaments and place them on the board when their opponent wasn't looking. This led to the practice of recording your moves. Look closely at any top tournament and you can see players like Magnus Carlsen recording how many pawns, knights, and bishops are on the board after every move.

7) Chess ratings keep going up! Just like Olympic records for speed and distance are shattered, every year the best chess players in the world reach new heights. The first system to numerically represent a player's skill was developed by professor Elo and adopted by FIDE in the 1960s. This system uses a computer to give a score to each move, and at the end of the game a player's skill is calculated based on how well they played.

8) The world champion of chess, Magnus Carlsen, is widely regarded as one of the best players alive today, but did you know he isn't the only player currently recognized as world champion? In 1993 Garry Kasparov started his own chess organization, the PCA. Garry Kasparov, also one of the strongest players alive today, remains the undefeated PCA world champion, and since the PCA no longer hosts tournaments, that probably wont change any time soon!

9) Have you ever seen a professional chess tournament and wondered what those weird looking clocks are? Many years ago chess wasn't played with clocks at all, but some players decided to stall the game when they were losing. To prevent this chess clocks were introduced. Two clocks are used for each game, and they record how long a player takes to make their moves.

10) Chess has a lot of rules, probably more than you think! The USCF rulebook has over 400 pages of rules tournament directors must learn before hosting tournaments. These rules cover everything from how players are paired to what they're allowed to wear. Even strong players sometimes run afoul of the rules. In 2017 Canada's only GM, Kovalyov, was forfeited by the tournament director for inappropriate attire.

its a joke!

chesschesskid
masonhi50 wrote:

bright side?

happy.png

sndeww

no it's legit, especially the russian hack. I heard chess.com supports this hack, because it happened to me more than once.

Nonce12352

what the frick dude you scamerino me

gullupakka
SNUDOO wrote:

no it's legit, especially the russian hack. I heard chess.com supports this hack, because it happened to me more than once.

wat is that

gullupakka

WHICH HACKKKKKKKKKK