Forums

stuck at 700, seeking guidance to reach 1000

Sort:
Verified
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a roadmap to reach 1000 Elo. Currently, I'm at 700, fluctuating between 695-710. I progressed from 300-600 in three months and then from 600-700 in just a week, but now I'm stuck at 700 for the past week. If anyone can offer some tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. Note: I only play the Italian opening
rice123rice

I went from 900 to 1200 solely by watching GM Daniel Naroditsky's speedrun on youtube. Give it a try.

HonoringStar40

Hey there!

If I may add, I feel that exploring more openings and being open-minded to the dangers of traps can help boost your rating. Exploring new openings and trying something new can be difficult but you'll get through it. In fact, I feel that the ChessMood coaches can help you with stuff like this and so much more. In case you didn't know, ChessMood is a great resource for players at all levels of chess learning. They have many free videos, articles, and challenges that break down chess concepts and overall strategies in an easy-to-understand way. Plus, their community is super supportive of learning players, so you can get tips and advice from others using this wonderful platform! Give it a try and you'll see the immense progress you'll make through this! Have fun!

Link to ChessMood: https://chessmood.com/?r=NationalChessBlasters

Good Luck, 
HonoringStar40

BioCode636
HonoringStar40 wrote:

Hey there!

If I may add, I feel that exploring more openings and being open-minded to the dangers of traps can help boost your rating. Exploring new openings and trying something new can be difficult but you'll get through it. In fact, I feel that the ChessMood coaches can help you with stuff like this and so much more. In case you didn't know, ChessMood is a great resource for players at all levels of chess learning. They have many free videos, articles, and challenges that break down chess concepts and overall strategies in an easy-to-understand way. Plus, their community is super supportive of learning players, so you can get tips and advice from others using this wonderful platform! Give it a try and you'll see the immense progress you'll make through this! Have fun!

Link to ChessMood: https://chessmood.com/?r=NationalChessBlasters

Good Luck, 
HonoringStar40

This looks interesting, I’ll check it out, thanks!

KeSetoKaiba

We can play unrated live chess sometime for learning if you like. In the meantime, chess opening principles is a good place to start and so are learning basic endgames like pawn endgame winning my King Opposition.

https://www.chess.com/blog/KeSetoKaiba/opening-principles-again

tacokingbbc

Hey! If you're 700 and looking to improve the fastest and easiest way to improve is just by doing puzzles. Doing puzzles almost without failure makes everyone a better chess player. But especially if you're in the rating rage of like 0-1400 puzzles I bet would do wonders for your chess. In terms of what else, what's really worked for me is watching people like gothamchess or daniel naroditsky who can be really good for teaching you chess principles if you often have no direction in your chess games. Also diversifying openings can be very useful for your chess (although probably shouldn't be your top priority).

RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond.....

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

tygxc

@1

"a roadmap to reach 1000 Elo" ++ Blunder check before you move. That is a roadmap to 1500.

"I only play the Italian opening" ++ Italian is fine. Do not worry about openings.
You do not win or lose because of the opening, but because of tactical mistakes.

Nigerianprodigy
Hi everyone, on laddrchess we teach people how to play chess from beginner to master level in a structured and engaging way.
It’s like the duolingo for chess.
Head over to www.laddrchess.com to get started.
Rapid_Chess_Only
rice123rice wrote:

I went from 900 to 1200 solely by watching GM Daniel Naroditsky's speedrun on youtube. Give it a try.

Good advice. Especially if you not only watch his games but follow his method. Ie to analyze your games after a loss.

ChessMasteryOfficial

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

kingslayer123492

1. Look at the pieces. 2. Play carefully. 3. Blunder-check your moves. 4. Think. 5. Get a coach. 6. 7. Get premium diamond and analysis your games. 8. Watch chess videos. 9. Go for lessons. 10. Do tactical puzzles.

kingslayer123492

I am on the way 600-1300. I may seem weak, but i am new to chess.com.

BigChessplayer665
Verified wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a roadmap to reach 1000 Elo. Currently, I'm at 700, fluctuating between 695-710. I progressed from 300-600 in three months and then from 600-700 in just a week, but now I'm stuck at 700 for the past week. If anyone can offer some tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. Note: I only play the Italian opening

Tbh just learning from high level play like Daniel nerodisky ,hikaru,etc can be helpful but learning from your own games is the most important thing

Btw if you don't know ladder checkmate learn that and rook endgames cause otherwise your gonna stalemate consistently if you don't know those queen rook,etc endgames

BigChessplayer665
kingslayer123492 wrote:

1. Look at the pieces. 2. Play carefully. 3. Blunder-check your moves. 4. Think. 5. Get a coach. 6. 7. Get premium diamond and analysis your games "preferably without stockfish try to figure out why and how you made a mistake and what not to do and what to do" . 8. Watch chess videos. 9. Go for lessons. 10. Do tactical puzzles.

I'll edit a couple things but yes this works

KeSetoKaiba
kingslayer123492 wrote:

That's not weak at all. Keep up the great work! happy.png

BigChessplayer665
KeSetoKaiba wrote:
kingslayer123492 wrote:

That's not weak at all. Keep up the great work!

The average rating i think is 623 or something he's slightly above average so there's still room to improve by ALOT

KeSetoKaiba

@BigChessplayer665 you are spot on with the average rating. The global average is in the 600s and typically fluctuates a bit, but not too much. Of course even 1300 has a lot they can improve in (I never said there wasn't things to improve), but they should still be glad with the realization of how much they already know.

I've witnessed many players (several higher rated than myself) struggle and burnout due to having their motivations in the wrong place:

https://www.chess.com/blog/KeSetoKaiba/chess-motivation-through-purpose

BigChessplayer665
KeSetoKaiba wrote:

@BigChessplayer665 you are spot on with the average rating. The global average is in the 600s and typically fluctuates a bit, but not too much. Of course even 1300 has a lot they can improve in (I never said there wasn't things to improve), but they should still be glad with the realization of how much they already know.

I've witnessed many players (several higher rated than myself) struggle and burnout due to having their motivations in the wrong place:

Usually with rating my advice is always reach a peak and not worry about tilt just grind through it and learn from it goals are important as long as you don't focus on rating cause usually when you learn or try new things you lose rating

Rapid_Chess_Only
BigChessplayer665 wrote:
KeSetoKaiba wrote:

Usually with rating my advice is always reach a peak and not worry about tilt just grind through it and learn from it goals are important as long as you don't focus on rating cause usually when you learn or try new things you lose rating

Exactly, the main difference in chess growth between most people is basically when they start to worry about their rating. When you're worried about rating you'll stop trying new things, which is what spurred your growth in the first place. It isn't only in chess either, ego's get in the way of improvement in everything.

People will ask, "is x opening good at my rating?" Try it out! Who knows, maybe you'll have good results. "What rating should I study endgames?" Try it! Trying things out is how we instinctually learned as a baby but somewhere along the way, some decide to ignore the results and stop trying new things because of their ego.