Forums

Is it worth it to go to a tournament being below 1500 elo?

Sort:
leomarin1
So, I have been playing for about a year and got to the 1000 elo in rapid. I know there are a LOT of stronger players, and as a grown-up learner, I was wondering if it was worth to go yo a tournament. My fear is that there is a high probability that will end up losing most if not all the games. Should I just wait and study a bit more until I get some more points? Is the otb and overall experience enough to justify going to a tournament? will this be fruitful ranking wise?
charliewalker2

it is worth going to tournaments, otb is a bit different in comparison to online. maybe not as "fruitful" ranking wise but there can be a lot of knowledge gained.

sinits
You should go! Have proper attitude and have fun! You will get new experience/emotions and maybe new connections.

You already wrote it and please-please remember - there are a lot of stronger players. It will be always like this. So, do not be upset even if you get the last place!
EscherehcsE
leomarin1 wrote:
So, I have been playing for about a year and got to the 1000 elo in rapid. I know there are a LOT of stronger players, and as a grown-up learner, I was wondering if it was worth to go yo a tournament. My fear is that there is a high probability that will end up losing most if not all the games. Should I just wait and study a bit more until I get some more points? Is the otb and overall experience enough to justify going to a tournament? will this be fruitful ranking wise?

I'd say as long as you're not expecting to make money, and as long as you can handle losing most or all of your games, I'd say it's very worth doing. OTB is just a richer experience. Try to view your losses as learning experiences that you can analyze. And try to have fun, because that's what it's all about.

countertheory

You should definitely go. You will lose all of your games (probably) but, as we all know, you learn much more from a game that you lose than you do from a game that you win. The experience of tournament play is also invaluable. 

JimRichmond

It is definitely worth doing. Go in only expecting a new experience and regardless of outcome you won’t be disappointed.

Make sure you know the rules (touch move, en passant, etc.) and how to write down your moves.

I had played a couple small scholastic events with just a few players before getting into a big tournament. Wow, it was an amazing time. Lost 4, won 1. 

DreamscapeHorizons

Yes, go.   It's so worth it no matter what ur level.   

blueemu

You will learn a lot, regardless of whether you lose every game or not.

When I was 17 I got to fly to Vancouver to take part in the under-18 championship of Canada. It was a nine-round tournament.

I placed last, with one win, one draw and seven losses. I learned a lot.

brianchesscake

one thing I can say is that every game you lose OTB stays with you a lot longer than losing in online bullet / blitz / correspondence chess.

some people remember the bad memories of blundering in real life tournaments as motivation for not making the same mistakes again, but some crumble under the pressure. it's inevitable that you will run into these situations in OTB, but what defines you will be how you handle it.

that being said, every time you win feels pretty awesome.

MasterMatthew52

Many tournaments have sections for different ratings, so yes it's worth it. Even if the tournament only has an open section still a good learning experience.

exshiro10

yes

Habanababananero

It’s fine. I now got my rating after two FIDE tournaments, one in Finland (4 rounds) and one in Greece (9 rounds) and my FIDE rating is a little above 1600 now.

it is not very impressive since they changed the rating floor to 1400 to try stop rating deflation, but anyway, I think 1000 chess.com is enough although yeah, it will probably be mostly losing, but you know, you have to lose first in order to learn how to win.

blueemu

Congrats!

marcobaldan1
Habanababananero wrote:

It’s fine. I now got my rating after two FIDE tournaments, one in Finland (4 rounds) and one in Greece (9 rounds) and my FIDE rating is a little above 1600 now.

it is not very impressive since they changed the rating floor to 1400 to try stop rating deflation, but anyway, I think 1000 chess.com is enough although yeah, it will probably be mostly losing, but you know, you have to lose first in order to learn how to win.

Congrats man! How did you find the tournaments, and did you find your FIDE was similar to chess.com elo? I'm looking at trying to go to a few tournaments when I hit around 1500

Harionago

I actually became obsessed with chess because i joined a tournament even tho I was 200 elo

basketstorm

Elo here means little, it's distorted compared to FIDE ratings.

And FIDE didn't simply raise the floor. They've fixed the compression and reassigned ratings. All 1000's got +400 points, all 1400's got +240 points., all 1800's got +80 points. So it's as easy to get 1400 now as it was easy to get 1000 earlier

ChessMasteryOfficial

Even if you lose some games, you’ll learn from your mistakes and be able to apply those lessons in future games, both online and in OTB events.