Forums

I'm fairly new to chess. Maintained 700 when I started a week ago, but now I keep declining...

Sort:
davidisnothingcomparetome

I've got into chess in the past week or so, I've also got a free trial of the Diamond subscription on chess. Love playing Chess, it's very fun. But over the past few days I've been playing quite badly and I dont know why. Could someone go over my profile and maybe give me some tips? Thanks.

https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/108747224020?tab=analysis

tygxc

@1

"I've been playing quite badly and I dont know why"
++ Analyse your lost games.

Petrosian94

From the game one can tell that a clear-cut thinking process is missing. There is not a mechanism in place to analyze your opponent's and your moves.

RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond.....

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

Proundfafnir
Rewuim wrote:

It's awesome that you're diving into chess with the Diamond subscription. Since you’re already putting in the time, you might want to check out ChessMood too. They’ve got some excellent courses that can really help you sharpen your game, especially when you feel stuck. Trust me, it’s worth a look.

Link to ChessMood: https://chessmood.com/?r=NationalChessBlasters

Good Luck

woah this is very helpful, and I wish you a good day!

QathetMike

Try to castle in the first 10 moves

try to move the pieces only once, in the first 10 moves

don't bring the queen out so soon

both you, and your opponent left pieces unprotected, and subject to capture, for free.

If you can take 2 different pieces, at no cost to yourself, ask which of those pieces is the bigger threat? both points and position wise.-

don't forget your opponent is also trying to win.-check to see what they are up to-before deciding what you want to do.

both this site- and lichess.org have good training/learning pages---well worth the time to do these pages, then se the improvement in your game

good luck, and welcome to chess

ripley12345

If you're just starting playing chess, I would suggest playing and getting used to the game. Familiarize yourself with the board and how pieces move, and as you progress, add in openings, tactics, strategy, etc. Learning chess is a step by step process so don't expect to improve all at once, and don't worry about rating. Focus on improving and rating will follow.

ibrust

- Watch some youtube videos aimed at helping beginners

- focus on not blundering

ChessMasteryOfficial

My advice (as a chess coach and 2100+ player):

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

Sadlone

The AI bots on this site have marked you so will lose much more now, you can run but u can't hide from the lower rated bots they will chase u and drink all your rating points

English_roG

Chess is very very hard. At present I'm on a terrible losing streak where I have lost over 300 points in less than two weeks. Sometimes the brain just can't play chess - it can't concentrate for that long. Be kind to yourself, try and enjoy moments from each game. Congratulate yourself for your good moves. Try not to let chess govern your mood and self-esteem.

davidisnothingcomparetome

Thanks happy.png

Electropilot

I like Nelson Lopez rating climbs on youtube, that will give you basic principles. Eric Rosenberg and Ben Finegold are good too. Thier are a lot of great players on youtube but they move pretty fast for players without the fundamental skills.

The Bobby Fisherbook helped me alot ,when I was a beginner back in the 70s

Chessflyfisher

Sure, you are just starting out. If you are very young (under 21 let's say), there is a good chance that you will get a lot better. If you are older than that, you can definitely improve but the chances that you will be expert strength are very slim. Nevertheless, just like golfers who never break 90 (or even 100 for that matter!), you can still keep playing and enjoy it. Be realistic and don't get your hopes up too high.

Khnemu_Nehep
Chessflyfisher wrote:

Sure, you are just starting out. If you are very young (under 21 let's say), there is a good chance that you will get a lot better. If you are older than that, you can definitely improve but the chances that you will be expert strength are very slim. Nevertheless, just like golfers who never break 90 (or even 100 for that matter!), you can still keep playing and enjoy it. Be realistic and don't get your hopes up too high.

Lol that's entirely false. Stop believing you're no good if you're older.

haveyouseencyan

How did you even start at 700? I started at 300 or 400, won a few games, then got hammered down to 250 or something. Then I have no clue what happened but I was losing like 50-100 points each game. Very quickly I ended up on 100, three times I got back up off 100 and it knocked me back to 100 after each loss. Check out my first game history, first 1 or 2 pages if you don't believe me. Can anyone explain that? I remember as well, one of the players ranked 100 was either using a bot or elo of 1k plus. Theres ridiculous stuff going on in low elo levels.

In regard to your question. I am new, but keep playing. Do you do puzzles or any other type of learning? I am very streaky personally, I will for example win 7 in a row then lose 7 in a row. If I am losing I normally go do puzzles, play a bot, or watch a video and come back then hopefully I will start to win.

ArkadiyYudintsev
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

My advice (as a chess coach and 2100+ player):

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

Plot Twitst: I play Bullet and i dont have time to check all of these

ArkadiyYudintsev
haveyouseencyan wrote:

How did you even start at 700? I started at 300 or 400, won a few games, then got hammered down to 250 or something. Then I have no clue what happened but I was losing like 50-100 points each game. Very quickly I ended up on 100, three times I got back up off 100 and it knocked me back to 100 after each loss. Check out my first game history, first 1 or 2 pages if you don't believe me. Can anyone explain that? I remember as well, one of the players ranked 100 was either using a bot or elo of 1k plus. Theres ridiculous stuff going on in low elo levels.

In regard to your question. I am new, but keep playing. Do you do puzzles or any other type of learning? I am very streaky personally, I will for example win 7 in a row then lose 7 in a row. If I am losing I normally go do puzzles, play a bot, or watch a video and come back then hopefully I will start to win.

false, if they uses bot ( no matter what they uses, even Martin) they will get banned, 100% and you will get back ur lost rating

QathetMike
haveyouseencyan wrote:

When you are just starting, on this site, your ELO will go up or down quite dramatically, for about the first 10-15 games. Then the swings will decrease, as the computer figures out your 'normal' elo.

ArturGajewski

I found that reading books is a boring task with trying to learn the notation when you're a complete beginner. I found GM Aman Hambleton's video series "Building Habits" is a treasure to see and learn. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8N8j2e7RpPnpqbISqi1SJ9_wrnNU3rEm