Forums

I'm at 269 ELO, What should I train in order to reach 500?

Sort:
Vertemes

So far I've been using bots, doing the daily puzzles, and making sure I use my daily game analysis against the coaching bots. I've been going up little by little, but I feel like I'm just using common sense instead of using actual tactics and skills. What should I expect in the 200-500 ELO range and how should I train to reach 500 ELO

RichColorado

Why do you need a ELO RATING?

Vertemes

Because I want to see signs of improvement

dutchmav

I would say...keep playing and doing what you do...im not a good player or anyrhing but by playing more games you start to recognize patterns, traps and certain openings...it helps you to find out openings you enjoy and setups you need to practice more...so just do more and be patient

ChanMan4

Play the vienna gambit!!! Also play rapid 15/10 so you have time to think

LJGoomba
Vertemes wrote:

So far I've been using bots, doing the daily puzzles, and making sure I use my daily game analysis against the coaching bots. I've been going up little by little, but I feel like I'm just using common sense instead of using actual tactics and skills. What should I expect in the 200-500 ELO range and how should I train to reach 500 ELO

Play against me!

Nanotsukare

I recently climbed through that range to 630 or so. I tried to use one opening every time (Italian Game) and explore all my misses in depth in game review/analysis. I try to trade somewhat aggressively so that the position doesn't get too complicated (I tend to lose on time in those cases). I also do a lot of puzzles and aimchess. Sicilian was kicking my butt so I watched several "anti Sicilian" videos and tried the simplest ideas which helped.

Mac-Smith
ChanMan4 wrote:

Play the vienna gambit!!! Also play rapid 15/10 so you have time to think

I would prefer you play some blitz because you need to think faster. It can help you analyze positions quicker and be able to have more time as you play. But play what you want, I just prefer blitz for training.

haveyouseencyan

I started playing less than 2 months ago and am elo 550 at the moment. Before that I had never played. I thought it would be interesting to just play without doing any form of studying.

I took this approach as I'd rather feel the pain and learn from my own mistakes. It will also make me an unusual and unpredictable player. I do however spam puzzles as I found them quick and fun. I got the basic annual membership for unlimited puzzles. The puzzles will teach you how to checkmate, avoid being checkmated, and how to avoid stalemate.

Go into your settings and turn off the view elo setting for you and your opponents. I think that helped me when I forgot about it. You of course still see it on your homepage etc, but in game you don't see yours or your opponents. Don't focus on elo, just play ok, even if your elo takes a hit, it will balance out eventually (many times I dropped like 100 elo, then within a few days I was 200 elo up).

As I taught myself, I naturally have stumbled into popular and common openings as ofc there are only limited options in this game. If you asked me what my opening's were called, I couldn't tell you, but they no doubt have a name.

What you said about common sense will actually take you far IMO and I still play like that, not long drawn out tactics. I mainly just respond to the opponents strategies int he early game. The only time I use strategic play is when I want to checkmate someone, otherwise, my moves are fairly simplistic/responsive in a way.

Focus on:

- getting a good position in the middle of the board

- unlocking your pieces at the back of the board so that they aren't blocked in

- castling within the first 10 moves

- not hanging pieces, and recognising when they hang or blunder and take advantage of that.

If you can see that they are planning to attack your king in the medium/late game, make an escape route in advance, don't get trapped in the back row.

I am 550, so you might not want to play me, but if you do fancy some games, let me know, I do play most days or every other day, just don't expect me to spam 10 games in a row.

PS. I wouldn't waste too much time on playing the bots, they play dumb and you wont learn anything there. I do play them sometimes, but only because I want to try and tick off all bots at some point, if that's even possible.

Have fun, spam, forget about your elo. You will improve fast.

ps. I was stuck around 200/300 for a while, it seemed easier to advance through 400 then it was to break through 300. 500 is a bit hit and miss, I quite often get some real donkeys at this elo. Wont be long until I hit 600.