Forums

Im a 500 rated player and I keep losing. someone please tell me what Iam doing wrong

Sort:
ThinkDiffernt
Im a 500 rated player and I keep losing. someone please tell me what Iam doing wrong
zikawce
Hi
Dreams34
You are losing because of tactical mistakes, blunders, etc. Since you’re 500, try to pick 1 opening for white and black and actually learn and master it. If you do that, this will help you become incredibly good in your opening. Also, after your games are done, analyze them and see what mistakes you have made, and why that specific move gives you a disadvantage throughout the game.

For the openings, I recommend:

White: London System, The Queen’s Gambit

Black: King’s Indian, The Caro-Kann

You can pick one of the 4 openings for each color.

Learn the opening principles like:

1. Controlling the center with pawns and pieces

2. Get Knights out before Bishops (Don’t develop the Knights to the edge of the board, they don’t control a lot of squares that way.)

3. Castle your king to safety

Castling is important because your King will be safer if you do it. The King is not always safe in the center.

Also I recommend doing puzzles. It improves your pattern recognition and your tactics.

Learn some Endgame Positions. Sometimes, you might end up in a winning position, but have a hard time trying to convert it in the endgame, which as a result might end in a draw.

Learn some basic King & Pawn endgames. And once you’ve mastered it, you can go practice more endgame positions.
RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond.....

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

Hripfria202

For example, in your game against Jonas_m_G you did too many unnecessary pawn moves, so you didn't develop any of your pieces normally. And at the end of the day you hanged your queen to the opponent's knight. Literally no pieces were developed, and that only knight that you developed was under attack of the opponent's bishop and queen. That's why you're losing

Hripfria202

By the way, I would recommend to you as a beginner YT channel Chess Vibes. It's the best chess channel on YT in my opinion, and is especially useful for beginners like you as he does rating climb against players at your rating (about 580-600, but already he has 800-900).

harriw

I had a look at a few of your recent games. The problems in your play are
1. You don't play according to opening principles. You should try to control the center, develop your pieces (develop them early, develop them to squares, where they can be active) and castle yor king to safety (beginners should do this early)). Read e.g. this article: https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-principles-of-the-opening

2. You blunder pieces and don't see tactical combinations. Some improvement comes with experience, doing puzzles and analysing your games will also improve your skills.

QathetMike

castle in the first 10 moves

don't move the same piece, twice, in the first 10 moves

don't forget about what you opponent is trying to do.

Proundfafnir
BioCode636 wrote:
Hey, If you’re looking for someone to review your games and provide feedback to help you improve gameplay and your skills ChessMood is perfect for you. It’s an online chess course designed by grandmasters to help you get better at chess, they have an amazing community and a ton of resources to help you along your way of reaching your elo goals.
Click here to find out more: https://chessmood.com/?r=NationalChessBlasters
Good luck!

Thanks this was very helpful!

priyanshu699655

Nice

HolographWars
Hripfria202 wrote:

By the way, I would recommend to you as a beginner YT channel Chess Vibes. It's the best chess channel on YT in my opinion, and is especially useful for beginners like you as he does rating climb against players at your rating (about 580-600, but already he has 800-900).

Chess Vibes does the best job explaining beginner concepts in my opinion. I usually redirect any newbie who asks me for advice to his videos.

tygxc

Blunder check before you move.
Do not play your intended move, but imagine it played on the board.
Then check it does not hang any piece or pawn, or runs into checkmate.
Only then play it.
Sit on your hands.

HolographWars

as a child, sitting on my hands was quite effective.

Mudassir-Butt

Check out this beautiful game. https://youtu.be/cVt9-pFcXxs?si=ymkSNsbX8vq4Mrs2

JohnnyErasmic

I don't know how much time you have for study & practice, but there is a lot really useful and instructive tutorials available free on YouTube. I particularly recommend Levy Rozman (search for Gothamchess) he's a very good analyst and teacher, and is always engaging. If you have some money to spend, then I'd also recommend Levy's book How to Win at Chess, it covers all the basics of strategy and tactics and each chapter contains QR codes where you can access various videos and drills. His website chessly.com also contains a lot of tutorials. There is a charge for these courses, but also quite a few free samples, so you can try before you buy. But there are many, many good coaches and analysts offering videos on openings, defences, traps, tactics and strategies, I find Chess Page 1, hanging pawns, and Remote chess academy very helpful.

Khnemu_Nehep

You're not winning. That's wrong.

Galaxia_mk

I'd say just practice against easy cpus and attempt to predict what your opponent will do next if you can and what you'd do in response. I think that ability will develop naturally over time so no need to worry about it too much. If the opponent is doing well against you then see if you can find what went wrong. You'll get better over time

ChessMasteryOfficial

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

bobby_max
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

Please stop spamming this copy/paste generic pap. Either look at the games played and offer specifics or don't bother. I've read this same answer from you tons of times.

The_Blue_J

Apart from those mentioned above, master 1 opening for white, and 2 for black, 1 for the kings pawn, and the other to refute the queens pawn openings (you never know when learning queens pawn openings will prove useful, it's played by a minority, but you might have to face it one day.)

I recommend learning a few openings that beginners at your level may throw at you, and learn to refute it as black.

• Italian and Spanish Games for the Kings Pawn
  • Queens Gambit for Queens Pawn (no need to go in depth, as I said, the Queens pawn is played by a minority)