Forums

How long it took you to get to 1500 rating?

Sort:
SpotlessMind24

Good day. I know this may sound amateur but I play chess for half of a year and my rating is around 850-950, I use to play around 5 games per day. I wonder how long it can take to be like 1500. What tips to lift up you can recommend? 

Apreciate ithappy.png

SpotlessMind24

I use to play 5 minutes blitz with 5 extra sec per move. Daily chess is too long. 

My blitz is around 900, chess rating. I am wondering how to improve it with 600 points) 

torrubirubi
By far the best way to get 1500 is to play very few blitz and play Daily Chess. The advantages of Daily are obvious:
1. You can use books and databases to play the opening. This is really great if you bought an opening book and want immediately to play this new repertoire. The book will help you until the opponent deviate from the book, so you will practice the opening by playing real games.
2. You will have time to analyse the middlegame. Let's say you reach a position with bishop pair versus to knights, playing against an isolani. You can take your books on middlegame and see what the authors can tell you about such positions. The same applies to the endgame.
3. You will have plenty of time to think about the moves. This means that after the game you will remember well what you was thinking in a certain position when you decided for move a and not move b.

Play two games, one as black and one as white, and write down your analysis and thoughts, as you can use them for the post morten.
SpotlessMind24
torrubirubi wrote:
By far the best way to get 1500 is to play very few blitz and play Daily Chess. The advantages of Daily are obvious:
1. You can use books and databases to play the opening. This is really great if you bought an opening book and want immediately to play this new repertoire. The book will help you until the opponent deviate from the book, so you will practice the opening by playing real games.
2. You will have time to analyse the middlegame. Let's say you reach a position with bishop pair versus to knights, playing against an isolani. You can take your books on middlegame and see what the authors can tell you about such positions. The same applies to the endgame.
3. You will have plenty of time to think about the moves. This means that after the game you will remember well what you was thinking in a certain position when you decided for move a and not move b.

Play two games, one as black and one as white, and write down your analysis and thoughts, as you can use them for the post morten.

Thanks for advices. Well it seems I had a bad understanding about 1500 rating. I thought its average player, but it seems that you need a lot of literature to be 1500. I am playing for fun, dont have time for studies in chess. I guess I will always play at 1000 ratings happy.png

tipish

your rapid is decent. you can do it. to become 1500 you don't have to read any books. maybe do the 5 tactics daily and play rapid you'll be there if not in 2 3 years

JessieMillano2015

SpotlessMind24 wrote:

I use to play 5 minutes blitz with 5 extra sec per move. Daily chess is too long. 

My blitz is around 900, chess rating. I am wondering how to improve it with 600 points) 

If you're only playing for fun and you don't have time to study, it's highly unlikely you will get to 1500. I can't give you any tip. I'd like to suggest you use engine (StinkFish or Lizardo) but, as you very well know, it's illegal or prohibited.

JessieMillano2015

SpotlessMind24 wrote:

Oops... I quoted the wrong entry. Damen app!

fischerrook

You get a percentile ranking of where you are compared to the rest of the players on chess.com when you view your stats. If you make it to 1000 rated, you're better than most people on here. Have fun. 

astronomer111

^^^

That's what they tell you. It used to be possible to get average ratings by country on this site. When I spent an idle hour comparing countries I found that only 4 countries were lower than the worldwide average, and they were tiny. Falkland Islands was one of them.

I think you should take the stats on this site with a big grain of salt. Just the other day when I was briefly above 95% I scrolled through Australian players to see if I had cracked the top 2000. The first few pages had ratings that went down sequentially, but by the 10th page there were random inserts in the order eg someone rated ~1500 being inserted between 2 players ~1700. The further I scrolled, the more frequent the irregularities. And, no, I'm not in the top 2000. I made it to about 2300th

Pulpofeira
JessieMillano2015 escribió:
SpotlessMind24 wrote:

If you're only playing for fun and you don't have time to study, it's highly unlikely you will get to 1500. I can't give you any tip. I'd like to suggest you use engine (StinkFish or Lizardo) but, as you very well know, it's illegal or prohibited.

And pointless.

GabrielCazorla

I think it depends much on the person and the time you dedicate to play. According to my chess statistics, i started playing 5-6 months ago and in the past few days my blitz elo rating has been fluctuating around 1400, with a peak at 1456 and i think i will reach 1500 any time soon but to be fair i've played many more matches looking at yours. I recommend you to train with tactics/puzzles, they make you see the best moves faster and also train your strategy, looking at videos or reading about chess or whatever, i don't think you'll have to ''study'' lots of chess. To my experience, the less elo a player has the more weak squares he leaves behind and the more aggresive he tries to play. Learn to identify your own weaknesses and your opponent's and play accordingly

55NORTH

Perhaps you need to take a different view of daily chess.  It need not be time consuming. Quite often or even usually up to the first 4 or 5 or more moves are made relatively quickly. You can then walk away from the game for up to 24 hours.  Set a board up with the position so you can view whenever convenient. Even carry a pocket set with the position set up so that you can review during the day (when travelling, meal times or just a few moments off). Gives time to study, think and understand. You can start a 24 hour game and run alternatives simultaneously if you just want to play.

torrubirubi
SpotlessMind24 wrote:
torrubirubi wrote:

Thanks for advices. Well it seems I had a bad understanding about 1500 rating. I thought its average player, but it seems that you need a lot of literature to be 1500. I am playing for fun, dont have time for studies in chess. I guess I will always play at 1000 ratings 

Actually I am also playing for fun,  and although the rating is also important for me,  much important is the feeling that I understand better chess. 

What I wrote sounds like a lot if work,  but in Daily Chess you can play when you have time. I am right now eating a pizza in Bern,  playing three Daily Games.  One is almost finished and I will win,  two are still in the opening, so I didn't have to think much.  Soon we will get out of the book and begin to plan the middlegame, the party can start! 

AIM-AceMove

Chess.comis full of cheaters and sandbaggers at low level. What that means is a 1400 rated player stays at around 1000 level on purpuse, where he enjoy beating players with easy. I have played many players over couple years of all ratings. 800 thru 2100. 

I can tell you i faced more skilled and strong players at 900 to 1300 level than 1500 1600 level. I have lost games where i played almost at my full strenght vs 1200 rated and i was 1700 rated outplayed. and they was not cheating. Simply sandbaggers pretending to be low rated.

Create new account or join arena tours where you are paired vs 1400 1600 and see how easy they are

tipish

interesting I haven't seen it

jonesmikechess

After my first tournament, I was rated over 1500, but I'm a very visual person.

Just not hanging pieces should get you a better rating.  The way to improve after that is dependent on what type of positions you prefer to play.  Studying tactics helps everyone and endgame knowledge is always helpful.  

torrubirubi
AIM-AceMove wrote:

Chess.comis full of cheaters and sandbaggers at low level. What that means is a 1400 rated player stays at around 1000 level on purpuse, where he enjoy beating players with easy. I have played many players over couple years of all ratings. 800 thru 2100. 

I can tell you i faced more skilled and strong players at 900 to 1300 level than 1500 1600 level. I have lost games where i played almost at my full strenght vs 1200 rated and i was 1700 rated outplayed. and they was not cheating. Simply sandbaggers pretending to be low rated.

Create new account or join arena tours where you are paired vs 1400 1600 and see how easy they are

Interesting point of view.  I have more problems with higher rated than low rated.  In my first weeks in chess. com I win a lot of games just waiting for my opponents to blunder a piece.  Now I  am over 1550 and I have to take care to blunder something myself. 

SpotlessMind24

I`ll read some bookshappy.png

Kowalski_x

Page 2 and not one of you actually answered this guy's original question. How quick you can get better really depends on age , younger the better. Amount of games played and general revision of games, openings, tactics. To actually give you a personal answer it prob took me about 2 years of constant play from about 1100 level (well just online) and daily interest in looking at youtube / twitch chess videos, doing tactics etc. I only knew how to play chess at 16yrs at very basic level and only started to play online in my mid 20s. I know pretty much zero theory but just play the same or very similar openings everytime even if considered bad to many. Understanding of similar occuring middlegame and endgame positions may be more useful than theory to reach 1500. I'm not much over 1500 blitz here but haven't peaked my rating yet as it's still going up (grinding +50/-50 bracket for slower less swing climb) In my opinion to reach 1500 here in Blitz you need to just have a solid grasp of the chess fundamentals that were stated in previous posts and you have to play lots of games learning to think fast and that means winning ugly alot of the time. This is not the best way to learn real chess but if your goal is just to get 1500 blitz I'd say mostly anyone can get it in a few years with little to no theory knowledge as long as you are quick and play solidly. 1500s still blunder quite early and often. So you have lots of hope if you can just go games without major blunders.

misterbasic
It took me about 2 years of casually studying chess tactics and strategy to reach 1500-1600. My blitz ability lagged behind my otb rating and my bullet rating lagged even further behind. It’s only very recently that all of my ratings somewhat caught up into the 1800s.