Forums

Advice for someone struggling at 200 elo range

Sort:
Minor_King

Hello, I just started playing chess this week. I knew the basics from before but never really bothered to learn past how the pieces moves. Now I am really trying to impove, I watch my replays I try to understand what I did wrong and I watch videos with advice and follow the lessons here on the site but I just can't stop loosing..
A couple of days ago I didn't struggle that much against 400 elo players but now literally everyone is a tough opponent!

I don't know what happened to me, maybe I'm not cut out for this

Chess_Player_lol

chess is a hard game and it takes time to learn. Don't be discouraged about losing some games. Keep up the hard work!

busterlark
Just looked over a couple games. Honestly, you just need to stop hanging pieces and look for more tactics on the board. If you hang half the pieces you currently do, you should shoot up to 1000 easily, I would guess.
KMWS

228 games in the past 7 days :shock i would try playing 1 game of 30 mins or longer. Use the time to think. Go over your game and learn from it. Then when not playing your one 30 min game try solving 10-15 puzzles. If your looking for improvment this approach might yeild you better results in the long run. But if you just want to play for fun and dont care by all means play as much blitz as you want. I should be playing more rapid then blitz myself lol

autumncurtis

Focus on 1 thing until you hit like 1200, before you make a move simply ask the question, "can my opponent take that for free if I put it there?" If the answer is yes, don't put it there and find a different move 😊 once you climb to maybe 1000 then perhaps look at other chess ideas 😊 tactics/puzzles are your friend 🧡

autumncurtis
KMWS wrote:

228 games in the past 7 days :shock i would try playing 1 game of 30 mins or longer. Use the time to think. Go over your game and learn from it. Then when not playing your one 30 min game try solving 10-15 puzzles. If your looking for improvment this approach might yeild you better results in the long run. But if you just want to play for fun and dont care by all means play as much blitz as you want. I should be playing more rapid then blitz myself lol

Same though... always out here advising play long games and I spend all my time playing 1 minute bullet because addiction even though it makes my chess worse 👀😂

Chuck639

What have you been doing since 2014? Lol.

You and I have the same root problem which is playing too much blitz and bullet; they are fun but are a road block to improving.

I am actually going thru a relearning phase at 1400 because I ingrained so many bad habits from speed chess. I’ve been inconsistent because of this.

My personal take from experience:

1. Drop speed chess like a bad habit.

2. Play rapid 15/10 or 30/0.

3. Analyze each game. Make higher rated friends who can analyze your games and have practice unrated games with. You want a human perspective and develop a thought process for logic and tactics.

4. Do rated puzzles daily. You have a membership so grind those puzzles until you hit 2500 and then back off.

5. Watch a video on opening principles. Develop your pieces, castle early, connect the rooks, place them on potential semi/open files and start attacking guns a blazing. Don’t bother with other videos or book beyond this. Focus on rapid play, game analysis and rated puzzles. The chess.com rated puzzles will fill the gap on tactics, pattern recognition, mating patterns and introduce you to end game scenarios.

6. Have fun and learn how to laugh. Its going to be a blunder fest for both sides from here on out. 

Learn “slow chess” well before you move faster.

I helped a handful of friends get from 800 to 1200 within 3 months. Actually a couple of them surpassed me lol and are 1700+ because they caught on so well with good building habits and play a lot. We’re talking 3000+ rapid games to give you an idea.

Minor_King

Thanks for the good advice

My account was created in 2014 but I havn't played chess during this time.

I often find myself making mistakes where I move a piece that blocks the path between two other pieces hence making one hanging, the problem is that I don't notice this quick enough in my 5 minute games.. I can play 10 minute sure but I also want to be able to think faster and spot the patterns on the board faster I thought that is what blitz was for.

I am watching this video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pZbhjL-fQ&list=PL8N8j2e7RpPnpqbISqi1SJ9_wrnNU3rEm&index=1

I also get frustrated because I get very dissapointed in myself that Im loosing so much

Chuck639
Minor_King wrote:

Thanks for the good advice

My account was created in 2014 but I havn't played chess during this time.

I often find myself making mistakes where I move a piece that blocks the path between two other pieces hence making one hanging, the problem is that I don't notice this quick enough in my 5 minute games.. I can play 10 minute sure but I also want to be able to think faster and spot the patterns on the board faster I thought that is what blitz was for.

I am watching this video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pZbhjL-fQ&list=PL8N8j2e7RpPnpqbISqi1SJ9_wrnNU3rEm&index=1

I also get frustrated because I get very dissapointed in myself that Im loosing so much

You and me both. Look at all those red ticks lol:

Chuck639

But the good news is it took me a month to turn it back around. Ironically by playing less.

Less is more.

Quality over quantity.

Minor_King

Thing is you're against 1300+ players im fighting for my life at 200 while negative win ratio. I think my iq is just too low for chess

crocodilestyle1

If I can make a suggestion - make sure you enjoy the game and don't get frustrated.

My longer answer: I came back to chess after a long break. and seeing youtube creators I genuinely thought that chess was all about being able to smash people at blitz - and because I remember myself being good, when I was not able to do that I got majorly annoyed.

Use your membership on this site - do puzzle rush, it is great for getting the patterns into your head (knight forks, bank rank mates, overloaded pieces etc), there are lots of great videos lessons on this site too, and learning tools like the checkmates practice.

If you're asking about how to get better, it means you like the game and you want to put some time into it - that dedication to the game will help you, chess is a really great game, and it will reward you! Let me wish you all the best.

RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond...

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

chanelno5x
Minor_King wrote:

Thing is you're against 1300+ players im fighting for my life at 200 while negative win ratio. I think my iq is just too low for chess

Whoa, give yourself some grace.  It's likely you still need a bit of time to find what improvement tools will work best for you.

Noticed that you're getting into the habits series, which is wise!  Aman Hambleton is a gifted teacher and it shows through the advancement of the Chessbrahs.  If you want to recap on the habits, there are shorter videos too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRvksIZpGc&list=PLUjxDD7HNNThftJtE0OIRFRMMFf6AV_69 

Definitely, play slower games and "when you see a good move, find a better one." Lasker

jg777chess

Hi!

Think correctly, not faster. Faster comes with a strong intuition and experience, but that’s not necessarily developed by playing copious amounts of blitz chess. I’d be happy to meet up on a Chess.com classroom sometime and go over some chess concepts and review some of your games, maybe create a self study program for yourself if you want. A few key things can tremendously help your chess at your level, which can be the exciting part of learning chess initially to blunt the overwhelming feeling you can also have. Message me if you’d like!

-Jordan

JoshPrice
Minor_King wrote:

Hello, I just started playing chess this week. I knew the basics from before but never really bothered to learn past how the pieces moves. Now I am really trying to impove, I watch my replays I try to understand what I did wrong and I watch videos with advice and follow the lessons here on the site but I just can't stop loosing..
A couple of days ago I didn't struggle that much against 400 elo players but now literally everyone is a tough opponent!

I don't know what happened to me, maybe I'm not cut out for this

Don't give up! Chess is a very hard game, and it takes time to improve! Focus on slower games, (like 30 minute games) and do a LOT of tactics, make sure to know what your big mistakes were in each game so that you learn from them! 

Chuck639
Minor_King wrote:

You do have a point, 400 rapid chess sucks haha. So what do you want to do?

Truth is, I suck horribly with my 1600-1900 peers but have my moments . I cannot relate to 200 troubles?

You can do the same old cliches or try something different? Like divide the board in half as example.

Learn the rest of the board when you hit 1400 like me.

Them move on and bore yourself with the semi-slave lol

DimiBell
I looked at your game against Shellz and you played better than me (I’m 300)
Minor_King

I do want to get better and I'm trying my hardest to do so. I'm watching videos everyday and almost always looking at my replays to see what I could do better. The problem I notice is that I often forget what I learned from my replays

crocodilestyle1
Minor_King wrote:

I do want to get better and I'm trying my hardest to do so. I'm watching videos everyday and almost always looking at my replays to see what I could do better. The problem I notice is that I often forget what I learned from my replays

You can write things down - sometimes even just writing things can help your memory; if you are a dinosaur and have a note pad and pen, or diary to write stuff down do that; if not, a note app of your phone or tablet. (For example: Forgot my bishop was undefended; moved my pawn and my opponent was able to fork my queen and rook; got bank rank mated, need to check king safety. That kind of thing)

Each time you look at a chess board, look at every check, every capture and every forcing move - if you're a beginner this might take 10 minutes, with practice you'll spot them very quickly and you are training your brain. Survival puzzle rush is good for this - the first 15-20 puzzles are usually just checks.

As with improving at anything, it takes time - your work today is useful, but nothing you do will make you beat Magnus Carlson by 9pm tonight! Take the advice from the good people here, and see how you're doing in a week, then a month - a year might seem like a long time but chess is a game that you will still be playing in 30 or 40 years, so enjoy the learning process!

You're interested, and you're asking questions: I KNOW you will improve and enjoy the game. And what's more, in a few years time you'll be giving advice to people!