Forums

Post your own-created chess puzzles here!

Sort:
Superplayer7472

If you have composed a chess puzzle by yourself, post it here!

Superplayer7472

To get started, here is the first one: (I have many)

Perronicus

Cool puzzle, hope it's ok to talk about it here & that that doesn't constitute a spoiler..

I guess you have to retake with the f pawn rather than the d pawn because when black starts pushing their pawns down the cascade the white king is close enough on the king side but isn't close enough on the queen side to stop them

Superplayer7472
Perronicus wrote:

Cool puzzle, hope it's ok to talk about it here & that that doesn't constitute a spoiler..

I guess you have to retake with the f pawn rather than the d pawn because when black starts pushing their pawns down the cascade the white king is close enough on the king side but isn't close enough on the queen side to stop them

Yes, that’s right. Although, I must admit that it actually does count as a spoiler. Can you come up with some own?

Superplayer7472

Ok, I will post another one. Here is one that I composed today:

white to play and win
Superplayer7472

I just composed another puzzle featuring a similar idea, but this time, you need to play far more energetically!

white to play and win
SuryaVS
Check my profile picture for my puzzle ( was playing a game between myself and myself and encountered this position ) Get material or mate, Black to play. And it may be wrong because I used no help and no engine. Have fun!
Superplayer7472

That was a nice combination, @SuryaVS! Sadly, ...Rxb2 is refuted by Rd4!, when black's attack disappears and white comes out with a clear advantage.

SuryaVS
Thank you @Superplayer7472 didn’t see Rd4, as I said I didn’t even look at engine so mistakes will be there. Also hope you didn’t use engine and see it. Even if you did it’s fine
SuryaVS
Then assume king on b2!
SuryaVS
B1 sorry
Superplayer7472
SuryaVS wrote:
B1 sorry

On b1 the king is in check. Sadly, there seems to be no way to fix this puzzlesad.png. I tried to do it with the aid of the computer, but it was not entirely winning for black and they also had other, almost equally good options. I also want to share one rule of puzzle making (there is a reason that the name isn't "puzzle finding"!). The rule is

In a puzzle, the board should be as clean as possible.
This means that unnecessary pieces and pawns should not be on the board, if not for aestethic reasons. Other kinds of puzzles, where irrelevant pieces are on the board, are better for training, but those are easily provided by Chess.com and Lichess. Clean puzzles are much better for aestethics, and only aestethic puzzles are worthy for publication.

SuryaVS
Alright then a2. Also that bishop is crucial for the challenge
Superplayer7472
SuryaVS wrote:
Alright then a2. Also that bishop is crucial for the challenge

You could at least clean up the kingside.

Superplayer7472

I completed a puzzle this morning:

white to play and win
Graywing13

Really nice compositions! Definitely nice to see self-composition threads like this one.

I'll bite with two of mine. White to play and draw.

And for something a bit more clunky. White to move and win.

gstlagake

Cool

Superplayer7472

Thank you, @Graywing13! Now we are getting somewhere with this thread!

scopegranites

Creating and sharing your own chess puzzles is an excellent method to interact with the chess community and display your inventiveness. Whether you are a novice or a seasoned player, sharing puzzles can initiate thought-provoking conversations and test others. It is also a beneficial approach to enhance your skills by obtaining input and solving puzzles created by others.

Superplayer7472

I composed another puzzle two days ago. It's a nice reminder that winning material isn't nessecarily the end of the combination.

white to play and win