Forums

My First Titled Tuesday 5.5/11 ALSO I BROKE 2600 BLITZ! πŸŽ΄πŸ¦β€β¬›πŸ₯Š

Sort:
Kowarenai

its currently 4 am and I kept procrastinating this forum but decided to do it now anyways as today was the first official titled tuesday I took part in ending with a score of 5.5/11 which is not that bad for a first time. my favorite game was the one where I beat a 2700+ GM with the Scandanavian so that's pretty fun, it set my all-time new best blitz win!

Also it took a whole day of feeling like a pinball machine and dealing with lag but I finally managed to break 2600 for the first time ever so that feels awesome! lets gooooo!

right imma head out and either sleep or watch some anime quick then sleep cya

cellen01

πŸ”₯

sleepyzenith

woohoo

ImDeathItself

good job

robo008
nice, you were unlucky to face jospem
BigChessplayer665

Nice good job 2500+ feels weird cause you can tell they are not playing well but you have no idea how to punish them

MaetsNori

2600! Beast mode.

How does the Titled Tuesday field feel, in terms of playing strength?

Kyobir

5.5/11 is average

but 2600 blitz isn't! Great job!

Kowarenai
Kyobir wrote:

5.5/11 is average

but 2600 blitz isn't! Great job!

it should have been 6.6/11 but I disconnected in a game where I was beating an IM and lost while streaming but hey 5.5/11 isn't that bad for a first time

Kowarenai
MaetsNori wrote:

2600! Beast mode.

How does the Titled Tuesday field feel, in terms of playing strength?

it's like a different world cause you know you can have more opportunities to improve in blitz or your chess skill as a whole getting the chance to play some top players. for me to be able to play some people like Bacrot for example was an honor especially given I was having advantage so it boosts my confidence. then again there is also a bit of luck involved so there's that but its a really strong event although based on your level you can expect to have either a very decent performance or a terrible one, luckily for me while streaming the lag only affected me terribly in one game so I was able to do a pretty decent result

also https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cKiQVATxFbk

this is just funny seeing my reaction, its a short so ye

llama_l

Awesome. I bet playing in TT is good experience, you get to play strong players who are trying hard. Playing better players tends to improve a person's play.

llama_l
Kowarenai wrote:

my favorite game was the one where I beat a 2700+ GM with the Scandanavian

Don't give me an excuse to start playing this opening in blitz again hah.

Just looking at the game on my own, I don't even see how white went wrong, it just looks like a clean win to me. Nice game.

BigChessplayer665
llama_l wrote:
Kowarenai wrote:

Just looking at the game on my own, I don't even see how white went wrong, it just looks like a clean win to me. Nice game.

I dunno the Scandinavian is a pretty solid and dynamic opening which makes it really good for blitz chess

Uhohspaghettio1
llama_l wrote:
Kowarenai wrote:

What are you on about, that was an atrocious game by both sides. How white went wrong - maybe exchanging 3 of his pieces quickly and then sacrificed his last one because "look what i can do ma!!!", and a move or two later going a pawn down in the endgame. I know it's easy with the engine analysis but why would anyone move h5 as black in that position? Surely what you'd be trying to do is force a weakness by targetting pawns and giving checks and that sort of thing, opening wide up your defences. Like what is the point of castling if you're just going to do that, was that that rook pawn really going to queen? It just allowed white in straightaway and should have been curtains.

There were simple mistakes everywhere and it was a dead draw according to the computer until white's final where he simply threw another pawn away unnecessarily, then he was a little worse but only lost because he ran out of time. Games like that happen but hardly anything to be proud of, and hardly a Capablanca style "and noone can understand how his opponent went wrong" kind of game. Sure you're a better player than me but how're you getting that statement anywhere, that game is nothing to write home about.

Kowarenai

yeah, it's objectively a dreadful opening cause it loses to principle and classical moves where white can put pressure on black to get a comfortable advantage. that's what happened in the game and I got a bit lucky he missed a mating combination but till then I had played a pretty equal game I would say as far as even claiming advantage once I got 2 clean pawns. it can be played in blitz but it is uncomfortable unless you can defend against all the attacks and pressure

Kowarenai
Uhohspaghettio1 wrote:
llama_l wrote:
Kowarenai wrote:

What are you on about, that was an atrocious game by both sides. How white went wrong - maybe exchanging 3 of his pieces quickly and then sacrificed his last one because "look what i can do ma!!!", and a move or two later going a pawn down in the endgame. I know it's easy with the engine analysis but why would anyone move h5 as black in that position? Surely what you'd be trying to do is force a weakness by targetting pawns and giving checks and that sort of thing, opening wide up your defences. Like what is the point of castling if you're just going to do that, was that that rook pawn really going to queen? It just allowed white in straightaway and should have been curtains.

There were simple mistakes everywhere and it was a dead draw according to the computer until white's final where he simply threw another pawn away unnecessarily, then he was a little worse but only lost because he ran out of time. Games like that happen but hardly anything to be proud of, and hardly a Capablanca style "and noone can understand how his opponent went wrong" kind of game. Sure you're a better player than me but how're you getting that statement anywhere, that game is nothing to write home about.

h5 is simply coming out of the perspective that I needed to start advancing my pawns cause sooner or later he is going to eventually do the same. its either I wait and do nothing or play active and start utilizing my advantage, attacking the white king did nothing from my perspective as it would only lose time. the queen was defending f7 alongside the rook on f8 so the plan was objective and took a bit of calculation. he had advantage after sacrificing the knight but I knew I had to give it back and then he misplayed it but there is no way h5 can be considered a terrible move as its the only sound plan black can have besides waiting and trying to target the c2 pawn which I did later with rxf2 after some progress. you can't really critique white in that position as he is a Grandmaster, you can criticize me cause I know absolutely no theory and was trying my best to survive but logically I think I defended well against the complications and negated most of the tactics in the game as black. sure it was a terrible game but I doubt you would find a comfortable plan with a minute on the clock against a GM no offense as this isn't a classical game after all and required more intuition than a Capablanca lecture

Kowarenai

in retrospect you would not play better with time pressure and find a good plan as black in that position so I don't see the point in criticizing a grandmaster who was putting black in an uncomfortable position. it was double-edged and we didn't have time so to put it lightly I recommend you don't criticize something you can't really blame given the circumstances

BigChessplayer665
Kowarenai wrote:

in retrospect you would not play better with time pressure and find a good plan as black in that position so I don't see the point in criticizing a grandmaster who was putting black in an uncomfortable position. it was double-edged and we didn't have time so to put it lightly I recommend you don't criticize something you can't really blame given the circumstances

Off game people can be a lot more critical and see more than during the game like I was looking at 2600+ games recently and I saw tactics that they missed instantly he probably factor in time pressure cause nerves can have a lot to do with throwing the game

Kowarenai

of course yet they never get to that level or start berating players upon missing simple mistakes as if we were supernatural which is a ridiculous joke on its own. i hate when people criticize others for missing moves online or otb as it has no value nor impacts the result of the game once its finished. it could be used to reflect sure but what good does it give me when you are not the person playing the position? only me and my opponent should have that discussion. if its casual sure but in classical tournaments I purely hate this concept of analyzing with others unless they are friends

BigChessplayer665
Kowarenai wrote:

of course yet they never get to that level or start berating players upon missing simple mistakes as if we were supernatural which is a ridiculous joke on its own. i hate when people criticize others for missing moves online or otb as it has no value nor impacts the result of the game once its finished. it could be used to reflect sure but what good does it give me when you are not the person playing the position? only me and my opponent should have that discussion. if its casual sure but in classical tournaments I purely hate this concept of analyzing with others unless they are friends

The problem is (some not all)beginners and even intermediates don't know how hard it is or how good people can be like even in a good day a 2300 could occasionally survive against a gm after about 2200+ it really becomes more than just skill and if you aren't good enough to understand the moves (like I wasn't really able to understand hikarus moves till around 2200) your probably going to assume it's a lot worse than it actually is and be more critical