Forums

Made a new account and gained 200 rating

Sort:
PapaFrancesco123

So on my main account after a very long hard grind up from 500 I've just made it to 1300 and I was very pleased with myself. I found that I was quite scared to start another game because peak and all that so I made a new account (also to test out new openings with less risk and just have a bit more relaxed play) but after having finished 43 games I have very comfortably settled into 1500, with quite low glicko RD. The road to 1300 was not easy. I'm now confused. Is the range 13-1500 just all the same skill level? Am I not yet finished with placement games and not being matched with "real" 1500s? Has anyone else with multiple accounts experienced this?

Martin_Stahl
PapaFrancesco123 wrote:

So on my main account after a very long hard grind up from 500 I've just made it to 1300 and I was very pleased with myself. I found that I was quite scared to start another game because peak and all that so I made a new account (also to test out new openings with less risk and just have a bit more relaxed play) but after having finished 43 games I have very comfortably settled into 1500, with quite low glicko RD. The road to 1300 was not easy. I'm now confused. Is the range 13-1500 just all the same skill level? Am I not yet finished with placement games and not being matched with "real" 1500s? Has anyone else with multiple accounts experienced this?

It's very possible to for ratings to fluctuate 1-200 rating. It's very possible that had you continued in the other account, your rating would have kept going up and if you keep playing in this, it could go down.

That said, without staff approval, having multiple accounts risks closure.

https://support.chess.com/article/596-can-i-have-multiple-accounts

PaulAndrew123

Hi there, you will find that after the 1600 rating barrier it gets tough at this Website.i don't know why but my peak rating is only around 1660 here, but each time I get close to breaking it, it just tumbles back to 1550 or less....

The higher the amateur rating gets, the more unfair play is going on, so it's really difficult to beat them.

wt2chrome

Haha I don't think 1300-1500 is the same skill level at all. I just looked it up and you did very well against the 1300-1400 range on this account, something like 7.5/9. I suspect your level is above 1300 but you just never tried on the other account. Btw: grinding up hundreds of points from 500 just sounds exhausting. I would hate having to play that many games just to discover my true level. Anyway, to summarize: (can't do paragraph breaks on phone...) I think 43 is a little bit of a small sample size despite the low RD (maybe like 50+ is more accurate), but regardless I do suspect 1300 is too low a rating for you.

wt2chrome

@PaulAndrew123 I don't think that the difficulty you experience should just be attributed to unfair play. More likely than not there are other chess-related issues going on (for basically anyone making a similar claim).

PaulAndrew123

Thanks, yeah I know chess is a very difficult game as the ratings go up, so forget my comments.

Cheers to you

PapaFrancesco123

@wt2chrome I see that I forgot to mention that when I was at 500, that was my true rating. By grinding, I do mean a year of learning and practicing, not steamrolling. 1300 was not a "finally, a challenge" moment, it was very much an achievement for me. My point was more that I felt 1500s should be steamrolling me, because I worked quite hard for the peak rating I had reached on my other account.

PapaFrancesco123

@MarkofGreatness You can only comment with one account per thread. I posted with my alt so that's what I'll use. Not sure what you mean by this...

KingMoored
Martin_Stahl wrote:
PapaFrancesco123 wrote:

It's very possible to for ratings to fluctuate 1-200 rating. It's very possible that had you continued in the other account, your rating would have kept going up and if you keep playing in this, it could go down.

That said, without staff approval, having multiple accounts risks closure.

https://support.chess.com/article/596-can-i-have-multiple-accounts

I understand Chesscom has very good cheat detection systems in place for analyzing live games. But after reading the link you posted, it says without support approval noted on the account, using multiple accounts is considered cheating.

Does Chesscom have a separate cheat detection system used for detecting users with multiple accounts or is this something that is unenforceable by Chesscom unless someone reports it?

In addition to publishing accounts closed for Fair Play, perhaps Chesscom should publish the number of accounts closed for having multiple accounts?

PapaFrancesco123
KingMoored wrote:

I understand Chesscom has very good cheat detection systems in place for analyzing live games. But after reading the link you posted, it says without support approval noted on the account, using multiple accounts is considered cheating.

Does Chesscom have a separate cheat detection system used for detecting users with multiple accounts or is this something that is unenforceable by Chesscom unless someone reports it?

In addition to publishing accounts closed for Fair Play, perhaps Chesscom should publish the number of accounts closed for having multiple accounts?

After being made aware of this yesterday, I promptly stopped playing on this account, did not post in any other threads, and made my request for authorisation. I did however leave the post up for transparency purposes. Report me if you will, but I have tried my best to follow every rule as soon as I was notified, despite this account not meaning particularly much to me anyway. I genuinely was just curious about the rating gap.

wt2chrome
PapaFrancesco123 wrote:

@wt2chrome I see that I forgot to mention that when I was at 500, that was my true rating. By grinding, I do mean a year of learning and practicing, not steamrolling. 1300 was not a "finally, a challenge" moment, it was very much an achievement for me. My point was more that I felt 1500s should be steamrolling me, because I worked quite hard for the peak rating I had reached on my other account.

Oh interesting. I'm not really sure; it's hard to say more without knowing more about your main account, I feel. I'm curious how you were doing against 1200-1300 rated opponents on your main account, what was your winrate there?

Poptropicode

Yup, I just ground my way up to 1300 and it was a super long road. I made a new account out of curiosity and I was 1750 and won my first 7 games very comfortably. Felt just like 1200. Sad. How you start is kinda where you land in the 1000-1800 range.

profemanununcafalla

Cuando tengo acorralado al computador me hace jaque por ahogo pero cuando el computador me tiene acorralado me hace jaque mate.....

BigChessplayer665
Poptropicode wrote:

Yup, I just ground my way up to 1300 and it was a super long road. I made a new account out of curiosity and I was 1750 and won my first 7 games very comfortably. Felt just like 1200. Sad. How you start is kinda where you land in the 1000-1800 range.

If you win the first five games on a new account and click advanced (1600) you get to 2000 elo pretty easily all it requires is luck and good conversion

Though 1500s blunder almost as much as 1300s so as long as you actually spot the moves your fine the issue is not blundering yourself

Like every game there is typically 1-3 blunders

BigChessplayer665
Poptropicode wrote:

Yup that's provisional rating for you tbh you get lucky you gain huge amounts of elo like even if a 500 elp does that enough times and creates enough new accounts they will eventually get to like 1800+ out of luck

I myself have blundered before against an 800(mate in one)

Chessbrahs also blundered against 100 elo before

Now try reaching that on your main it is a lot more difficult no ?

Bad_Donkey

I did the same but on my normal account I had a ELO of less than 800 and than I started a new account and got a 1023 which is my peak so far I have changed accounts and delegated my old one to not be classified as cheating

medelpad
Creating a new account to get a higher rating is really dumb(I know from experience) and leads to this cycle:

Create new account-> Get a higher provisional rating than your strenght -> almost never use the account in fear of losing the rating -> tilt and close the account. Then repeat the cycle