Forums

What is 360?

Sort:
SuperGirl1456

What is Chess360? I have heard my friend talk about it, but I don't know what it is. Please tell me!

FortunaMajor

Chess 96o , not 36o, is a variant of chess. Unlike normal chess, you start with a completely random position. It's also called Fischer's random. You can start with any of the 960 different possible position...All the normal rules of chess apply. You win by checkmate. Also, castling is somewhat different.

SuperGirl1456
aravinds_ll wrote:

Chess 96o , not 36o, is a variant of chess. Unlike normal chess, you start with a completely random position. It's also called Fischer's random. You can start with any of the 960 different possible position...All the normal rules of chess apply. You win by checkmate. Also, castling is somewhat different.

Ok thanks

eric0022

But one of the 960 starting positions happens to be that of standard chess, so mathematically speaking, standard chess is a subset of chess 960.

flabbi

Go to vote chess in your groups and see if any of them have 960 in the title, or there will be a tiny 960 icon showing next to the game.  That will give you an idea of  it.  I will try to set up a 960 vote chess game in the group Seasonal Expectations so you can see a game and join in.

MSMZ41D

I want to play now

TheSamwhoiscool

Wow

NotMagnusCarlesn

Its not just a random starting position. Chess 960 is when the back rank is randomized (two knights, two bishops, two rooks, one queen, one king, but just in a random arrangement) black and white both have the same random arrangement to make it fair. People use it if they think too much of chess is about memorizing openings and want to see players have to come up with their own opening and focus and tactics and stuff.

hiiiiin2468

i like pizza and chess