Forums

Cursed Chess Gametype

Sort:
TheCheckler

Cursed Chess

I had an idea for a version of Chess that is basically meant to mess with all the instincts of regular chess. I call it Cursed Chess.

Set Up

The initial set up is no different than normal chess, all pieces are in the same places, white goes first, ect.

Piece Movement

Piece movement is the core of what makes Cursed Chess. Each pieces has it's function and role more or less reversed. I made some images to show how pieces move in Cursed Chess, the Key is that arrows show allowed movement, Red Tiles show tiles where the piece captures another pieces, and Blue Tiles show where a piece cannot move if another piece is blocking it.

Cursed Pawn

The Pawn can only move diagonally forward 1 space and can only capture pieces directly in front of it.

Cursed Knight

The Knight moves normally, except it's capture zones are now the 2 tiles along it's movement, and it cannot move onto a tile another piece is occupying.

Cursed Bishop

The Bishop now moves like a Rook, but cannot capture pieces this way. It can only capture pieces within 1 space diagonally.

Cursed Rook

The Rook moves normally, except it can now move through pieces. It captures any piece it lands on.

Cursed Queen

The Queen moves normally, but it can no longer capture pieces, meaning it's only real use is to block.

Cursed King

The King cannot move 1 tile, it can only move 2 tiles in any direction. It captures any piece it lands on, even friendly pieces.

Promotion

Pawns no longer become Queens at the 8th rank, they instead become Kings. If you have multiple Kings, you cannot be checkmated. You must take all of your opponent's Kings to win.

KnockKnockItstheFBI

Omg thats cursed af

harrisaroni

why

mantine73

The king one honestly sounds way better

hehehehaw9

amazing. this is a masterpiece.

grantli

siberian swipe

HGMuller

Seems to me the King is way to powerful to be checkmated, especially since the pieces are much weaker and a Queen basically no good at all. So basically a sure draw, making it as inteersting as Tic Tac Toe.

colecollector
king seems super difficult to checkmate
pds314

This is one of the variants of all time.

pds314

Estimated piece value:

Pawn: 0.85. This is a berolina pawn which have been extensively studied as a replacement for the pawn and considered to be worth an equal amount. 0.9 if it can underpromote to a rook since rooks are queen strength pieces in this variant but weaker in endgames, but berolina promotion in middlegame isn't unheard of.

Knight: 3.0 I think this piece is just comparable in strength but plays very differently from a conventional knight but would okay very differently. Caveat is that if it captures on both squares it could be quite dangerous, able to trade itself for 2 pieces in 1 move.

Bishop: 2.75. It has Ferz attacks with godlike unblockable rook mobility. I think that level of mobility is kinda wasted on such a weak piece though. It does have one clear advantage which is that it's the only piece with Ferz attacks.

Rook: 9.0. I'm not sorry. You've created a monster. During the early and middlegame, this thing is an absolute beast, constantly attacking 14 squares from any position on the board no matter how much clutter. Even in the endgame it should be significantly stronger than a rook because its pins become forks. And it certainly doesn't hurt that it's the only piece with a long range attack.

Queen: 0.25. The lack of any piece that moves as a conventional slider and the fact that it needs teamwork to even stop a knight makes this thing really just not good. If it were invulnerable I would like it better. I would trade it for a tempo. It's just as likely to block me as my opponent too.

King: 7.0? I like this thing. I've heard it referred to as a squirrel or a bear. Biggest problem I see is that it's practically impossible to checkmate it by force with 16 directions of movement. There are ways to checkmate it, I just don't see great ways to do so by force using available materials. If you want to include something like this, you need a way to checkmate it with the available pieces.

grantli

about the rook, there was a post on reddit claiming that in a game between the poster and another person (keep in mind, both were young kids at the time), the other guy captured the rook on the other side of the board, saying that it was a "siberian swipe". now you've made the siberian swipe legal. what have you done

T-jankins9522
How about queen can check but not capture, or vice versa.
KimTae333

That's crazy, honestly. It really is cursed.

Dehan_Chantusa

i want to plat crushed chess

RDkhanna

i wont be able to finish just 1 game of this interesting variant

i like it