Forums

The Czech Benoni

Sort:
HelloLocustMan

The Czech Benoni Opening ( For intermediates and amatuers)

HelloLocustMan

This interesting opening leads to closed positions that should prove instructive for either side to play. The position after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e5 4.Nc3 d6 5.e4 Be7 allow minimum of plans for both sides:

White may play for queenside space via b2-b4 or for kingside space via f2-f4 (though this latter plan can easily leave Black in charge of the e5 square after exf4 followed by Nb8-d7-e5).

Black must try the same ideas with b7-b5 or f7-f5 (both sides are following the rule that you should play to open lines and gain space with your pawns on the wings when the center is completely closed).

One typical sequence is 6.Bd3 or 6.g3 followed by 7. Bg2 6... 0-0 7. Nge2 Ne8. Development is not very important when the center is closed ( but l would still recommend you to develop your pieces) 8.0-0 when Black can choose between 8. g6 ( preparing f7-f5 and intending to answer 9. Bh6 with Ng7 ) and 8 Bg5! trading the bad bishop for White's good one on c1.

Key-

!- excellent move

!!-brilliant move

!?- interesting move

?!- dubious move

?-poor move

??-blunder

justbefair

Hmm, a good start but I think you need to do a little editing...

After the first five moves you give, do you play b2-b4 straight away? Or is that a long term goal?

Or do you play 6 Bd3 and the other moves you give as preparation?

How does the knight you moved to f3 on move 4 go to e2? Oh, I see you meant to show 4 Nc3, not 4 Nf3...

I was trying to help you put in diagrams but I think you need to start over.

ibrust

The Benoni is just bad tbh. It applies pretty much zero pressure to white while compromising blacks position long term... white just has easy pressure on black the entire game without even playing sharply due to the pawn d6... The benko is the only line worth playing.

You can probably make anything work but when there are so many good options against d4 I don't see any reason to play the Benoni.

HelloLocustMan

Yeah it's bad. That's why l don't play it.

HelloLocustMan

I just wanted to post a opening forum

HelloLocustMan

It's not my opening, l read about it. l know it's very bad, you can check my opening explorer and you won't find a single game featuring the Czech Benoni. l just want to try it.