Forums

English Opening

Sort:
Yyloh
So I have no opening with White, and decided to try some weird openings cuz I hate e4 but hate playing against KID when playing D4 or some random black opening. I then decided to try English. Should I play a variation which is just a system or play another variation?
VivPlayzX777

Improve your English Opening it's op literally!

ThrillerFan

The English Opening is probably a mistake in your case. First off, you cannot even force an English every game and must also understand the Reti or certain Queen Pawn Openings. Now if you already understand the Closed Reti and Reti-Slav lines (1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 e6 or 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 c6) or the Slav, Semi-Slav, and QGD, along with, in either case, the Kings Indian and Dutch, you might be ok. Otherwise, you are going to have complete nightmare figuring out all the transpositions.

Now you might be thinking "But I am playing 1.c4, not 1.Nf3." Yes, by playing 1.c4, you avoid certain lines of the Reti, like 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 and now both 2...dxc4 and 2...d4 are avoided, BUT, consider the following:

• After 1...c5 or 1...e5, you are in an English.
  • After 1...e6 or 1...c6, now what? If 2.Nc3, then 2...d5 and White has nothing better, due to ...d4 coming, than 3.d4 or 3.cxd5 and 4.d4, transposing to QP openings. This is where the QGD and Slav come into play. If 2.Nf3 d5, you are now either in a Reti (3.b3, 3.g3, etc) or a QP opening (3.d4)
  • After 1...f5, there is nothing better than transposing to a Dutch, whether you play d4 move 2 or move 6.
  • Against Kings Indian setups, White winds up with nothing unless he plays d4 at some point, most often leading to the Fianchetto Kings Indian.

I should also add that trying to play it as a system is a huge mistake as there is no one setup that works against all responses.

For example, the Botvinnik Setup, with c4, Nc3, g3, Bg2, e4, and Nge2, works well when Black has played ...e5 and fianchettos his dark squared bishop, like a reversed closed sicilian. But in lines with 1...c5, leaving the long diagonal open, or 1...e5 with an early ...Bc5, the weakness on d4 is a major problem with Black's Bishop being active.

Closing your eyes and playing 1.c4, 2.g3, 3.Bg2, and 4.Nc3 is also a huge mistake. 1.c4 e5 2.g3 Nc6 3.Bg2? f5! 4.Nc3 Nf6! and Black is AT WORST equal and is actually probably slightly better. That g2 square is often an escape for the Knight. ...Nc6 should ALWAYS be answered by Nc3 in those 1...e5 systems. 1.c4 e5 2.g3 Nc6 3.Nc3! f5 4.Nf3! Nf6 5.d4 e4 6.Nh4! (Threatening Nxf5) and now if say, ...d6, we see now why Bg2 is a mistake. Black can play ...g5 and trap the knight. So 7.e3, developing the Bisgop to e2 or d3 instead, and if ...g5, then Ng2, followed by h4, looking to entice ...gxh4 or ...g4, where then f4 is a beautiful outpost for the Knight.

So as you can see, the English Opening is only good for those that can deal with many transpositions and understands a lot of different pawn structures.

To play the English successfully, you must be well-versed in not only the English, but the Kings Indian, Dutch, and then either all forms of Declining the Queen's Gambit, or all forms of the Reti Opening EXCEPT 2...dxc4 or 2...d4 lines.

Yyloh

#3 thanks for ur detailed response. Imma wait and see if I prefer the 'English' type openings.