Forums

Best King's Indian Defense resources for beginners(800 Rapid Elo)

Sort:
robbythedon

*REDACTED*

tygxc

@1

"masters all seem too agree its solid"
++ It is not. 'King's Indian Defense is riskier for black than King's Gambit for white' - Bronstein.

"I want to master this defense so It can be my old reliable to get me there"
++ No opening will get you to 2000.
You do not win or lose because of the opening, but because of tactical mistakes.

"Where should I start?" ++ Just play and analyse your lost games.

"different phases of the game"
++ 'just forget about the openings and spend all that time on the endings' - Capablanca

TwoMove

The KID isn't solid at all, it gives white a big space advantage in the main lines, and commits black to playing dynamically to avoid being squashed,. At club player level I don't think this matters too much, and a lot of 1.d4 players are concerned about the typical black attack with f5 etc, whatever the theoretical verdict.

https://qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/281/kings_indian_warfare_by_ilya_smirin/ is as good as any to see if have right attitude to play the opening with chapters like "Always dangerous" find resources in worst, or even objectively lost positions.

Siyangthebest

edited comment Andrewsmith 

darkunorthodox88

how about no blundering pieces first before you even look at a chess book? A book at this stage will be completely useless as NO one will play book moves at your level.

BenjaminTD6
Good points around the board. Counter point- it is the sharpest response to d4 I know of for black. Is there a sharper, more solid opening I should use?
ThrillerFan
BenjaminLHull wrote:
Good points around the board. Counter point- it is the sharpest response to d4 I know of for black. Is there a sharper, more solid opening I should use?

Sharper and more solid in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

The Modern Benoni and the Leningrad Dutch are both sharper than the King's Indian.

The QGA, QGD, Slav, Nimzo-Indian, Queen's Indian, and Classical and Stonewall Dutches are all more solid than the King's Indian.

No opening fits both categories.