Forums

Russian chess player accused of trying to poison opponent by smearing pieces with mercury

Sort:
Artful_Chess_Dodger

Russian chess player accused of trying to poison opponent by smearing pieces with mercury

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-chess-player-poison-opponent-pieces-mercury-rcna165727

Amina Abakarova faces a possible lifetime ban and potential criminal proceedings, Russian authorities said, after the incident during a tournament last week.

Aug. 8, 2024, 9:39 AM EDT
By Yuliya Talmazan
It’s no queen’s gambit.

A Russian chess player is under investigation after allegedly being caught on camera spraying her opponent’s board with what authorities said was a substance containing mercury as part of an attempted poisoning ahead of a match last week.

Amina Abakarova faces a possible lifetime ban and potential criminal proceedings, Russian authorities said, after the incident during a tournament in the Caucasus republic of Dagestan.

The Russian Chess Federation issued a statement Wednesday on what it said was “an attempt to poison a participant in the championship of the Republic of Dagestan in Makhachkala,” referring to Dagestan’s capital.

It said Abakarova has been temporarily suspended from all competitions under the authority of the national federation, pending the conclusion of a criminal investigation.

The statement linked out to a video of the incident shared by Baza, a Telegram news channel.

The 34-second surveillance video purports to show Abakarova walking around what looks like a room with chessboards set up for a tournament and appearing to rub something on one of the boards, before looking around and walking away.

Baza reported that the incident took place last Friday during a competition at the Chess House in Makhachkala. One of the participants who sat at the table with a board that was smeared fell ill during the tournament, Baza reported citing eyewitnesses, adding that organizers called police after reviewing surveillance video that evening.

The channel identified the woman who fell ill as Umaiganat Osmanova.

Sazhid Sazhidov, Dagestan’s sports minister, released a statement on the Telegram messaging app Wednesday alleging that Abakarova, who hails from Makhachkala and has won the tournament before, spread a substance that later turned out to contain mercury, on the table that was used by Osmanova.

“As a result, during the game Osmanova’s health worsened and she required medical attention. However, no one else was hurt,” he said.

“At the moment, the lives of the participants and guests of the competition are not in danger,” Sazhidov said, adding that the tournament wraps up Thursday.

“Like many others, I am perplexed by what happened,” he added. Abakarova’s alleged actions, he said, “could have led to the saddest outcome; they threatened the lives of everyone who was in the chess house, including herself. Now she will have to answer for her actions before the law.”

In an interview with Russian newspaper Izvestia on Wednesday, Osmanova said that she saw “some tiny balls” rolling out from under her board during the tournament. She said she had no idea what it was until she realized it could have been mercury, so she alerted the organizers.

“I felt ill. I started breathing deeply and could not get enough air. I could not understand what was going on,” Osmanova said.

She accused Abakarova of intentionally trying to poison her and putting many people in the building in danger. “Many people could have been hurt,” she added.

Mercury can be a potent poison. The most common method of exposure is inhalation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which can result in respiratory symptoms. Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, renal dysfunction, visual disturbances and central nervous system damage may also occur, according to the agency.

The Russian Chess Federation’s executive director, Alexander Tkachyov, told state news agency Tass on Wednesday that officials were “deeply disappointed” by the incident. “We are waiting for the reaction of law enforcement agencies. If the chess player’s guilt is proven, then our reaction will be as harsh as possible. Up to lifelong disqualification,” he said.

The Dagestan Interior Ministry said Wednesday it was probing the incident and the substance in question. It did not say if Abakarova was in custody or facing any charges and would not confirm any more details to NBC News over the phone Wednesday.

NBC News has reached out to both the national and the Dagestan chess federations for further comment, and to try and identify a representative for Abakarova.

jJDTP

😮

Druss2k4

I saw that on Reddit, but actually there is already an article on chess.com : https://www.chess.com/news/view/russian-chess-player-suspended-after-allegedly-poisoning-her-rival

AvToriTeT25

I myself am shocked by this incident, especially since I personally know this chess player. Okay, if an ordinary player did this, but few people expected it from this player, especially since she is a coach and judge, whom almost all of Makhachkala knows .

Jindagara

It's just a game...

checkmated0001
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I myself am shocked by this incident, especially since I personally know this chess player. Okay, if an ordinary player did this, but few people expected it from this player, especially since she is a coach and judge, whom almost all of Makhachkala knows .

I'm sorry, did you just say that it's okay if an ordinary chess player tries to poison their opponent? Or that you could understand this from an ordinary chess player?

BLUE-ANGEL-123

Ok

Jindagara
checkmated0001 wrote:
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I'm sorry, did you just say that it's okay if an ordinary chess player tries to poison their opponent? Or that you could understand this from an ordinary chess player?

I think he meant that she was much more unlikely to do it in comparison to an ordinary chess pla\\yer

Rayfamily
checkmated0001 wrote:
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I'm sorry, but WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK

Rayfamily

I'm sorry, but what in the world is going on? How did this happen? And why?

checkmated0001
Jindagara wrote:
checkmated0001 wrote:
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I think he meant that she was much more unlikely to do it in comparison to an ordinary chess pla\\yer

I really hope that's not true, since that means that the average player is therefore more likely to poison someone in a tournament.

Artful_Chess_Dodger

The woman had a grudge against a chess player she played against since childhood. She tried to poison the player with mercury and got caught. She should be criminally charged with attempted murder, poisoning, etc.

365Ender
😂
ChessEggy150
Jindagara wrote:

It's just a game...

what? you think poisoning someone and nearly killing someone is "just a game"???

Sargon_Three
checkmated0001 wrote:
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I guess what OP is implying is that one would expect a certain amount of professionalism, sportsmanship, and respect at this high level.

checkmated0001
Sargon_Three wrote:
checkmated0001 wrote:
AvToriTeT25 wrote:

I guess what OP is implying is that one would expect a certain amount of professionalism, sportsmanship, and respect at this high level.

I expect that at all levels.

Adam_Gasanov

Ну про случай со ртутью разговаривают

Artful_Chess_Dodger

[Moderator removed comment - AA]

JogoReal

When I was a kid all medical, pharmacy bought thermometers, were made of a column of mercury. Kids used to play with them making temperature going up and down. Sometimes they broke and kids used to play a bit with the liquid metal touching it with the fingers. I did it more than once and I still have an active account here at 59!

Adam_Gasanov

Не зря у меня по английскому тройбан стоит😂😂😂

This forum topic has been locked