Forums

1100 to 1200 advice and discussion

Sort:
SethLeeChess

Hello, Ive just reach 1100 elo rating here on chess.com, (for the higher rated players) do you have any good advice into getting to 1200? and what did you guys learn or did to get there? Just wanted to get insight and inspiration. thanks.

KidambilSreekanth

Practice

sasanka_sarma

Right now you're winning majority of your games so your rating climb may not stop anytime soon. At this point tactics alone should be enough for you to win almost all of your games. When I reached 1100 for the first time I solved a beginner tactics book again and again untill I could tell in seconds what answer to that problem was. The point isn't to memorize the problems but to develop a sense of instinct of sorts so that when you play a game you can feel if there is a tactic or not. When you don't blunder and you don't miss your opponent's blunders you are going to more likely win.

SethLeeChess
sasanka_sarma wrote:

Right now you're winning majority of your games so your rating climb may not stop anytime soon. At this point tactics alone should be enough for you to win almost all of your games. When I reached 1100 for the first time I solved a beginner tactics book again and again untill I could tell in seconds what answer to that problem was. The point isn't to memorize the problems but to develop a sense of instinct of sorts so that when you play a game you can feel if there is a tactic or not. When you don't blunder and you don't miss your opponent's blunders you are going to more likely win.

You look really strong from the 1600 rating! and being 400 points away from 2000 is an achievement. Im really Surprised that you can reach that level in just 3 months from being 1100, I’m really curious about the specific steps you took to improve so quickly. What other strategies or resources did you find most helpful in your journey to reach that level?