Forums

The face of 100 year old dog….

Sort:
Powderdigit

I have no way of verifying the provenance of this set. I purchased it from a lovely lady (who was in her mid-sixty’s) and she noted that her parents (from the UK) played with these pieces when they were younger. So it would seem to be approx. 80-100 years old but, in truth, I have no real idea. I also note the box has ‘Made in France’ stamped on its base but who knows if the box and pieces were purchased together. The pieces are unweighted and unfelted. The king is 8.5cm and the king’s base is 3.3cm. The colour is creamy - not as pale as these photo’s suggest. The pieces don’t lean and are undamaged but dirty. There are knots and colour variations in the wood similar to the wood in my Lardy. Anyway / the knights make me smile - I believe they are called ‘dogface’ knights and hence … the face of a 100 year old dog. A toy from yesteryear. 🤦‍♂️😊

stumOnner

Hey powder! What an awesome find, congrats. It goes extremely well with the table top you restored. No felt, no weight (: what size is the king?

wids88
Looks like a chavet
wids88
Anyway…it looks lovely. Congrats
Powderdigit

Thanks for the prompt replies all. 👍

The king is 3 1/4 inches. It’s all reasonably crude - see the glue at the base of the knight … yet, it has a certain charm… I guess it’s a cheap toy from yesteryear but lasted, it has! 

… and I hate it when I stuff up the title … it should say … …’ a ‘ 100 year old dog! Oh well. 🤦‍♂️

TheNameofNames

The knights like "who ate my crack?" jk lol

Powderdigit
They certainly have a surprised look! 😳😳🤭
Powderdigit

And here is an interesting comparison - my Lardy set with this recent purchase. You’ll note the light colour of the wood and also the dirt on the more recent set… I think they will come up well with some warm, soapy water and cloth rub - just to remove the grime but keep the overall patina and perhaps rejuvenate with a bit of wood nourishing bees wax … they look ‘dry’ … for the lack of a better word. 

magictwanger

You are putting together quite a nice collection there.

Powderdigit

Thanks Magic. I found this thread interesting too … https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/inspired-by-grandpas-chess-pieces-my-found-set-of-wacky-wide-eyed-bewildered-knights?page=2

with much sleuthing occurring. Much like Scooby doo would do! 😊

And on the subject of sleuthing … this dominos box (containing checkers pieces) was also being sold by the lady … perhaps it provides some further clues as to when things were originally acquired  by her parents? 
I think it points to a date circa 1920’s / 30’s. 👍

Krames
Love it!
magictwanger

Sheesh! Yer' becoming quite the Indiana Jones of collecting offbeat and vintage stuff.

My hat's off to you.

GrandPatzerDave-taken

Your set looks almost identical to an old set distributed by K&C London in/around the 1930's.  I love my Scooby knights!

bananamoon

Have a similar one ...

Powderdigit
Cheers Banana and GPD. It’s interesting - I imagine this was a widely distributed set - for the time. The pieces are simple and easy to make (relative to more complex designs)… and the knight is very reminiscent of basic French regency pieces advertised around the turn of the century- like they kept the design of the head but placed it on a shorter base to make it more stable and playable.

While I say it was probably widely distributed - not a lot come up - way over here in Aus and if they do, they are often much smaller.

Anyway - I am happy the set found its way to me. As GPD and others have noted, the knight just brings a smile.
Pawnerai

Drawgood

I have a set like this without the board which I have gotten from Goodwill. It does come with a box and there was even a player's name on it. Don't remember what it is.

zone_chess

Congrats, nice find!
I wouldn't write it away as a 'cheap toy' - it looks quite artisanally made and the wood looks like walnut. It looks like it has some value so I'd hold on to it. Wish I could tell you more.

arand29
The knight looks so funny
Powderdigit

Cheers @Zone_Chess. Much appreciated - Interesting that the wood may be walnut.

I am interested to know if such a set was widely available and who it may have been aimed at? Was it for the masses to play a popular game or would it still have been aimed at more wealthy by folk back in the ‘20’s and ‘30’s? I truly have no idea … my guess is that more intricately carved sets would have been available for wealthy families or was it that any wooden chess set was a luxury item? Any thoughts?