Forums

Chessbase 10 or Chessbase Reader 2013?

Sort:
binchun

I have chessbase 10 but there are newer chessbase versions now. I don't want to buy the newer vesions but I've heard that chessbase reader 2013 is free. Is it better than chessbase 10?

transformation

no.

dont bother.  i am a chessBase expert, from A to Z.

CB 11 has terrible problems, if I could, I'd go back to CB9 which gave me no, zero problems over half a decade.

CB 12 is a just a bow on top of the same hat.  Difference, are slight, mainly about cloud.

Here is the rub.  CBR will only allow you to read game files, not create or edit those.

Bottom line, CB 10 to 12 has no meaningful difference, might even be better.  As they made Updates to CB11, now up over thirty five, there are MANY things that broke, not improved.

CB knows me, I have writen them, they have problems.

i actually installed updates thirty+ on CB11, and some things helped, then at update 35 they ruined it, a shocker.  I had to reinstal the fresh version, and am AFFRAID to run update 36, for fear its even worse, I have to choose which problems to have, seriously.

Crashing, problems with save game, problem with history, stunning.  But if you are serious about chess, got to have it.

If CB 10 does not crash, saves game records properly, be glad you have it, and leave it the F alone, seriously.  In all this change, things got really messed up.  I have used CB daily since 2006, expert is not a term I just throw around.

I just never had CB 10, so don't know if it got buggy like CB11, which had big problems.  Then they fixed them.  Then in the end, you cannot get update 27 or 28 or 29, but must get the lattest, and update 35 was a ruin, a total ruin, I was so angry at them.

They asked me to write a list of issues for them.  Excuse me?  No.  Give me a new version, then I will give you the free consultation, no ticky no shirty.

I don't hate cBase, I love it.  They simply have a failed testing process, I offer to be as beta user, help them fix it, deaf ears.

If you need help, let me know.  I have even posted my phone here, before, but some take it for granted.  Non-commercial, just a caring soul.

David Korn

Tacoma, WA

binchun

Thanks transformation for the detailed explanation.

WanderingPuppet

i have cb2009 premium and i have no problems.  suggest keep dbs under 2 million games though.

binchun

@Petrosianic: That is one of my other problems: my laptop keeps overheating when I run engines and when using the reference tab...my database has 3x 2 million games and a I'm getting a even larger one soon.

My chessbase frequently goes not responding and everytime I use a engine the cpu meter on my desktop shows 100%.

WanderingPuppet
binchun wrote:

@Petrosianic: That is one of my other problems: my laptop keeps overheating when I run engines and when using the reference tab...my database has 3x 2 million games and a I'm getting a even larger one soon.

My chessbase frequently goes not responding and everytime I use a engine the cpu meter on my desktop shows 100%.

suggest setting priorty 'below normal' in generally but especially for running chess engines on a laptop. this option exists at the time you add a UCI engine via an .exe file.  this allows you to run multiple tasks with much less chance of stalling.

my dbs are no larger than 192000 games (select unannotated master db with basis in high level recent corr games and hi level gm games) and of course u can access the online cb live db by simply pressing enter twice with an open board.  i think large dbs are more trouble than they are worth, but to each their own.  if u really like having all those games, i guess you could filter them by ECO to make the dbs more managable.

EscherehcsE
binchun wrote:

There may be a setting in engine parameters for the number of CPUs or threads. If so, try reducing that number to a lower value.

Ziryab

I''ve used ChessBase database software daily since 2003. For the past couple of years, it's been CB 11. I don't recall the problems transformation mentions, but his answer to your question is spot on. ChessBase Reader is for those who lack the full program. No matter how much newer, it will be a step down from CB10.

binchun

When I use chesslive with 6.5 million games it seems to be fine.

Bizarrebra

If you make a search for the link to CB9 in the forums, actually you'll find a very old post, but the download link still works! Chessbase no longer sells licenses for CB9, but if I were you I'd write them and ask to buy one. CB9 is very good.

Regards.

skakaras

The old version (2014 or older) of Chessbase Reader had the best keys for game classification according to themes (strategy, endgames, openings ...). It also had the most comprehensive search mask, where one could find specific sequences of moves.

It can be found on Chessbase by pressing Ctrl+F and choosing the advanced function of the Search Mask.

The big difference is that Chessbase Reader is free.